We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All-night layover? Worth it?

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
All-night layover? Worth it?

Hi there,

I've been reading all about layovers at Singapore and the free 2hr tours and all that, but I still can't figure out the following:

My GF and I will have a 19hr layover in Singapore and we'd LOVE to go out and see as much of the city (and the food) as possible. However, our JetStart flight gives us 2 flight options: We can either arrive at 18:15 and leave the following day at 13:20, OR arrive at 00:20 and leave the following day at 19:15.

Which one would you recommend?

First option gives us time to experience the city at night a little bit, which we would love to see, but feels shorter as a whole, as it doesn't leave much day-time, while the other option probably eliminates night-time in the city (unless we go in at around 1am and just walk around), but gives a lot more time during the next day.

We mostly just want to see the sights and eat all the food we can. We've never been here, and we're on a very tight budget (we were thinking of maybe just crashing the airport's rest areas, for instance).

So which one's better?

We're leaning towards option A, just for the sake of being able to see the city at night, all lit up, but being a Monday night, would there be stuff to see and do until late at night or would we just have a couple of hours before everything closes?

Thanks a lot!!!

Indie Singapore
Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Night Tours, Walking Tours
Let's Go
Bike Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Monster Day Tours
Walking Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Duck & Hippo
City Tours, Walking Tours, Boat Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All-night layover? Worth it?

Just in case: We're not really interested in hanging out at Mustafa all night or go clubbing.

We just want to see the city and eat away at hawker centres.

Edited: 16 December 2013, 13:54
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All-night layover? Worth it?

The city has pretty night view. If u go to Marina bay area u can see the skyline, the lighted helix bridge, the light show, the merlion spouting water, etc. U can go up the MBS observation deck. Or take the Singapore River cruise. And have your meals at Gluutons Bay or Lau Pa Sat, both oudoor-ish hawker centre. So if u are leaning towards night time sight-seeing there are enough to see. Maybe if u set out very early the next morning u can see a bit of day-time Singapore.

Edited: 16 December 2013, 16:06
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8,432 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All-night layover? Worth it?

Marina Bay at night is not to be missed, especially the light show.

Showtime Sunday - Thursday: 8:00pm, 9:30pm

You can try eating at Fengshan Food Centre (located in the East so short distance to airport from there) where there is a wide variety of local hawker fare.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8,432 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All-night layover? Worth it?

On second thought, I just realised the night flight is too late for you to take advantage of the free 2h guided tour. I would lean towards Option B since the guided tour seems to cover quite a number of places so you can save some time there. Daytime is also a more favourable time for photo-taking for most cameras.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All-night layover? Worth it?

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, we'd love to see the light show, as well as the whole Marina Bay area by night. That's probably our main draw towards the "night option".

And yes, we're arriving too late for the free evening 2hr tour, but I'm wondering if we could squeeze in the first free tour in the morning. Could we go out at night, see the city, come back to the airport, sleep there, and go out with the first free tour? There's a tour from 9 to 11am. Since my flight leaves at 13:20, it should be fine, right?

Is it possible to go back at night, sleep at the airport and take the morning tour or that's not how it works? I'm wondering about the whole landside/airside thing (flying JetStar Asia), if we'll be able to go back to the airport for some rest and also take the first tour out before our next flight. That would be so great.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All-night layover? Worth it?

Hello freddiem45,

Are you travelling with check in luggage? Jetstar is a budget airline, and there are some conditions that you need to satisfy in order to be able to stay airside. Otherwise, you cannot remain airside. Once you leave airside, meaning you have cleared immigration, you are not allowed in again unless you have Straight To Gate with Jetstar. And once you enter airside you are not allowed to go landside again.

Hope this helps.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All-night layover? Worth it?

With the cost of cabs and associated fiddle with going back and forth to the airport you would be better off getting a hotel room where you will have more comfort than trying to sleep in the airport. I also agree with poster #6.

Greg

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All-night layover? Worth it?

Thanks for all the tips!

SingaporeNancy, good thing you reminded me this was a budget airline and had its share of rules and limitations. I'm checking them out now.

Sgtgwh, that's probably right, especially if I don't really know whether I can go back at that time and do that tour.

I think I'm gonna get that 18:15 arrival flight, see the city at night, and just book a cheap hostel near Clarke Quay, so I can stay up as long as possible, sleep right there, and on the next day, get up early and see a little bit of daytime Singapore before leaving for the airport. I've found one called City Backpackers which seems pretty well located (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294265-d254341…)

Thanks for all the help!

9. Re: All-night layover? Worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 05:18