We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Singapore

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Singapore

Hi, looking for some advice re 3 night stay in Singapore. We will arrive via cruise ship on Saturday 29 March and will overnight on-board, embarking early Sunday morning. We will be staying at the Copthorne Kings Hotel, Havelock Road for 2 nights and leave Singapore on Tuesday 1 April in the morning, by coach to Kuala Lumpur. The places of interest we would like to visit are:

Gardens by the Bay

Light show

Raffles/Merlion

China Town

Botanic Gardens

Orchard Road

Clark Quay

River Cruise?

We don't mind walking/taxi/MTR. Any advice re ease of getting around and in which order we should plan our itinerary would be most welcome. First time visit to Singapore.

Thanks

1. Re: 3 days in Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 11:35
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,839 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Singapore

<<Any advice re ease of getting around and in which order we should plan our itinerary would be most >>

http://www.smrt.com.sg/

http://gothere.sg/maps

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Singapore

You can consider this itinerary:

Sunday: Raffles Hotel, River Cruise, Gardens by the Bay, Light Show, Merlion

Monday: Botanic Gardens, Orchard Road, Chinatown, Clark Quay

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Singapore

Thank for the suggestions and links to maps etc, very useful. So much to see and do in a 3 days so will have to plan carefully to make the most of our time in Singapore.

weecammy

Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Singapore

The Marina and esplanade are the most interesting parts of Singapore. The rest is large a giant luxury shopping mall with a few ethnic neighborhoods thrown in. I'd skip those, however. Little India in particular is a real horror shown - the stench of incense in the heavy, hot and humid tropical air is unbearable. No need to go there to see a a crush of people selling flea market level stuff. In fact, don't plan on walking too much because the heat and humidity are very high. Fortunately, the MRT subway is great. Taxis are also quite cheap. Chinatown looks like every other Chinatown in the world, so it won't been anything new if you already live in a big city. Singapore has developed away its sense of place. What's left is a bunch luxury shopping malls and some modern buildings with a dramatic modern architecture for a city scape and the spectacular Marina development. There really isn't much else.

- I would skip Orchard Road. It's just a bunch of luxury shopping centers with exactly the same stores as in the marina, Suntec etc. There is no reason whatever to go there. In fact, unless you shop at Gucci, Rolex, Burberry, etc. regularly, there is very little to shop for in Singapore. As I said, it,s basically a giant luxury shopping center and most of the stores are exactly the same that you see in every big city of the world these days, anyway. ( Even Duty free has exactly the same stores too.) The few mundane stores like Timberland are far more expensive than in NA, so you probably won't be buy much on this trip.

- I would also skip Clarke Quay. It's just an overpriced night life tourist trap. Nothing really there to see.

- One place I would go is Waterloo Street. It's not often mentioned, but it is one of the few undeveloped areas in the central core. There are a couple of temples there that are worth seeing.

- No visit is complete without a meal or two at a hawker center.

- Sentosa Island is for the kind of person who like Disneyworld. Yes, it's that bad.

- The zoo, night safari and Bukit Timah Nature Reserve outside the core might be options. Unless your are used to very high heat and humidity, I wouldn't try them, however. 45 outside in daytime has you running for an air conditioned sanctuary.

Edited: 18 December 2013, 14:03
London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Singapore

I think the itiniery in the OP sounds ok, you get the main sights in, although I would also recommend Pualau Ubin!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8,284 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Singapore

Corpthorne King is not in a convenient location for taking MRT or bus. The river taxi ($3 per way per person) can be taken from the back of Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel to Clifford Pier where you can go to the Merlion Park which offers a view of the towering MBS, the ArtScience Museum and The Flyer. From there, you can walk to Fullerton Hotel, Boat Quay, Clarke Quay OR The Esplanade, then take train to the Bayfront station for Gardens by the Bay and the Light show. If it rains, however, the river taxi will suspend operations and you have to take a cab or bus.

Edited: 19 December 2013, 09:40
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8,284 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Singapore

Alternatively, you can use the Helix Bridge to go from The Esplanade to MBS and Gardens by the Bay.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Singapore

Looking at your posts, you are used to the tropics.

The heat in Singapore is a problem, but bearable. Max temp is about 33C, but humidity is high.

The Botanic Gardens are a real joy to visit. If you go to Gardens by the Bay they can very hot in the daytime, but look beautiful at night.

Personally I like Chinatown. Many of the small shops are fascinating, and you will see things you won't find elsewhere.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Singapore

Hi and a huge thank you for all your posts. We will arrive in Singapore after cruising from Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand so hopefully will have acclimatised a little by the time we arrive in Singapore.

After the advice given I think on day (1) we will go from the cruise terminal and spend most of the day in/around Gardens by the Bay, Marina Bay, Raffles/Merlion and see the light show in the evening.

Day (2) Botanic Gardens, evening at Chinatown

Day (3) Hop on Hop off bus (do it the lazy way!!!). Maybe a museum.

A big thank you once again to all who took the time to respond. Most appreciated

Weecammy