We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I wear shorts to a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner party?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Can I wear shorts to a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner party?

Hi, just packing for an Xmas trip to Singapore for 10 days and i want to pack light - i.e. no trousers or jeans just shorts and trainers/sandals.

Does anyone know if i'd be able to attend a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner and party function dressed in shorts and a smart polo shirt? (Its at Parkroyal on Pickering).

Thanks for your advice - I know its an odd question!

Gary

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I wear shorts to a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner party?

There is a email in this Link below, where u can email the Hotel for Confirmation for any dress code:

parkroyalhotels.com/media/…29.pdf

I would thought Khaki pants with Polo & Sandals is good enuff.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I wear shorts to a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner party?

Thanks Me^Only - i've just emailed Lime restaurant to check if they have a dress code or not.

Appreciate your advice and link. I'm hoping cargo shorts will be ok - hate to pack jeans or long trousers when its too hot there for me to wear them.

Regards,

Gary

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,978 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I wear shorts to a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner party?

Most of the adult locals and even the expats wear long trousers in town. It's only the tourists who wear shorts Just about every building is air-conditioned and all restaurants in hotels will be climate controlled on the assumption that guests are properly dressed.

In the out of town town residential areas shorts are more common.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I wear shorts to a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner party?

No worries.

Happy Holiday :D

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I wear shorts to a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner party?

Singapore is a big city and people dress as if they were in the city. AC is everywhere and they run it quite cold. Unless you are playing sports I wouldn't wear shorts.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,307 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I wear shorts to a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner party?

You may pack as you wish, anyway if you really need pants when you are already in Singapore then there are hundreds of shops selling them.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I wear shorts to a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner party?

We will be in Sinagpore for NYE will I need to book somewhere to eat out .... We just want casual dining. Can I assume by this post that most get dressed up to eat out even if its not NYE. Not sure what I should be packing now. Travelling with teenagers who live in shorts.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
20,307 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I wear shorts to a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner party?

Hi,

I find smart casual wear is suitable (and matches the humid climate), except in the most expensive and fancy restaurants and bars. They will often have their dress code advertised on their website.

Edited: 27 December 2013, 21:57
9. Re: Can I wear shorts to a hotel's New Year's Eve dinner party?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 06:18