We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

Sandton
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

Hi everyone,

I am planning my first overseas trip from South Africa to singapore, kuala lumpur and thailand soon. I'm having a problem finding out which plug points there are in these countries and what to do about adapters (wikipedia is quite confusing as the ones listed aren't consistent with south africa's wallplugs). I am only staying for two days in singapore and kuala lumpur so wont have time to buy adapters when I'm there.

Thanks in advance for any help given..

Best Seller
Singapore Night Tour: Gardens By the...
332 reviews
from US$49.70*
Best Seller
Singapore Zoo with Transfer and...
1,733 reviews
from US$40.40*
5-Day Singapore City Pass with...
229 reviews
from US$124.20*
Best Seller
Singapore City Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
830 reviews
from US$32.10*
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

...I

I I

The above shows the outlet for Singapore and Malaysia. One top, two below.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 17:16
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

Somehow it didn't comes out well.. supposed to be like a smiley face.. one vertical, two horizontal

I

- -

spring.gov.sg/QualityStandards/CPS/SAT/Docum…

anyway, you can borrow adapter from your hotel

Sandton
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

Thanks very much raras! I understand now, does malaysia and singapore then use the same plug points?

Anyone know about thailand?

Thanks...

Edited: 06 January 2014, 17:37
4. Re: electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 01:35
Edited: 08 January 2014, 01:35
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

Yes. Similar configuration for Singapore and Malaysia.

Not sure about Thailand. Someone may chime in.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,867 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

Power Plug configurations of every country in the world: http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

just buy a universal plug adapter

www.amazon.com/s…

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7,799 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

Thailand uses a two pin type different from Singapore. If your hotel is of a certain standard, you may be able to borrow an adaptor during your stay.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

Malaysia and Singapore: "British"-style 3-pin "square plug". Round plugs are found in older buildings - which should probably not impact you. If you have 2-pin plugs wanting to go into 3-pin sockets, playing with the 3rd socket hole with a non-conductive device (e.g. Bic pen) has been observed (I learned this trick long ago in West Africa - but do this with caution, hopefully you won't have to try this).

https://www.google.com/search?q=south+africa+electrical+plug+socket&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0JrMUs6dKoWwqAHF8IGwAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=714#q=singapore+electrical+plug+socket&tbm=isch

Thailand: a blend of European continental round 2-pin and North American - Japanese two flat pin plugs. Outlets often take both round and flat pin plugs. Sometimes you may encounter North American 3-pin plugs. Despite the North American - Japanese plugs, power is ~230v 50hz.

https://www.google.com/search?q=south+africa+electrical+plug+socket&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0JrMUs6dKoWwqAHF8IGwAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=714#q=thailand+electrical+plug+socket&tbm=isch

In Singapore you can buy adapters for ~S$1.00 in hardware shops (there are misc. hardware shops in almost all local shopping centre). Hardware sections of departmental stores (e.g. Tesco), or supermarkets (e.g. Tops, Villa, Foodland) should have them.

Edited: 08 January 2014, 00:30
Singapore
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: electricity plug point singapore; malaysia and thailand

In Thailand, you're more likely to see the flat 2 pin types than the round ones. And annoyingly, most sockets there do not have on/off switches on them.