We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Southern Ridges - how far is too far?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
The Southern Ridges - how far is too far?

I hiked the Southern Ridges Walk from Mt Faber to Alexandra Arch and fully enjoyed myself, however in the humidity and heat I did not want to go any further, as you can tell from the blog post below.

…wordpress.com/2014/…

I wanted to gauge opinion, do people really walk all of the Southern Ridges in one go? I know it's not the most challenging trek ever, but there is not much shade despite walking through the treetops a lot of the time.

I plan to return to Labrador Park next month and complete the Kent Ridge Park section.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Southern Ridges - how far is too far?

Going the entire stretch from Kent Ridge to Mount Faber is too far for me. I like convenience and not going against gravity i.e. downhill so I do it from Alexandra Arch down to the Marang trail. Labrador MRT is a short walk to Alexandra Arch and the end of Marang trail is near one of the exits of Harbourfront MRT. I find it easier than doing it the other way around.

Plus, there's the Seah Im food center located alongside the Harbourfront bus interchange where we can have cheap, good food and a cold drink after a long walk.

It appears that NParks has updated the Southern Ridges map and now includes a new route along Labrador nature reserve. The route starts at Labrador MRT and runs perpendicular to the current trail between Kent Ridge and Mount Faber parks.

The new map is available here:

nparks.gov.sg/cms/images/park_images/ParkMap…

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Southern Ridges - how far is too far?

It was enjoyable reading your experience of the trails. Thanks for sharing. I do not have an answer to your question; I guess if you post in a forum for hikers, you might get more responses.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
21,023 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Southern Ridges - how far is too far?

Hello,

I went early morning by bus to just under Henderson Waves bridge, climbed up the steps and started from there. I went through Hort Park and onto and through Kent Ridge Park. Not the most exciting route, and some areas were not well signposted. I think next time I will do like AccidentalTourist69 and go in the other direction and end up down at Harbourfront. Plenty of people reviewing their experiences of The Southern Ridges here on tripadvisor.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g294265…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Southern Ridges - how far is too far?

Many would do Hortpark to Mount Faber down to Marang trail to Harbourfront.. or vice-versa. Done that several times. That the scenic route. Where you pass the treetop walk, Henderson waves, Mount Faber. And a few monkeys. Or you can start from Labrador mrt up to Harbourfront. Pretty easy walk. I and many others can also walk the whole stretch of Pulau Ubin up to Check Jawa and back. If you have not been to Pulau Ubin have a look. The boardwalk at Chek Jawa is quite stunning.

5. Re: The Southern Ridges - how far is too far?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:20