We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport stopover

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Airport stopover

We have a four hour stopover at Changi airport en route Perth- Cambodia -- is it possible to leave the airport or will the hassles of customs/immigration be too much. If we left the airport would we have to take hour bags with us or would they be automatically transferred asper normal 'in transit' travellers

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,565 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport stopover

Hello MicknOlga,

It all depends on the airline you are flying with. If LCC then you have to claim your bags and recheck in landside. If full service carrier, you may be able to check in airside and have your bags transferred to your next flight for you.

Tell us the airlines you are travelling with so that we may advise you accordingly. Imo, 4 hours is a short time to be heading out of the airport. You could easily pass the 4 hours at Changi. There are plenty to do to occupy your time.

My $0.02.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport stopover

1/ possible, but please state your airline of travel to/ from SIN??? And assuming all of you have Oz passports?

2/ on the other hand 4 hours is not MUCH............

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport stopover

It is Singapore airlines however the more thought I give to it I don't think it will be enough time to leave the airport and do anything meaningful (except a quick drink at the Raffles!!!!)

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,529 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport stopover

If your in transit with SQ you won't see your bags till your final destination. If you chose to leave the airport, and visit the city, you will be in a taxi within 15min of getting off the plane with no luggage to collect. Best to be at the airport an hour before the flight , though 30 min is enough ( gates close 10min before departure).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport stopover

Thanks

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport stopover

A 4 hour stop doesn't leave you a lot of time to see anything in town. Your next gate opens an hour ahead of take off normally and that's the time I would try and arrive (thus building in a safety net).

Use a taxi for the fastest transfer - 30mins each way normally - assume 30mins to get into the taxi from wheels down (you will almost certainly go faster without bags but that builds some traffic time into the equation) and that leaves 90mins or so clear time in the city.

If there's something you want to do in that time - go for it, if not then 4 hours on Changi is easy to pass.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport stopover

Thanks I think I will give it a miss - put my feet up at the airport

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel
Level Contributor
17,759 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport stopover

Hello,

"Put your feet up" - why not have total relaxation and get a foot reflexology, or neck and shoulder massage at CHANGI. Plenty of great experiences for you while in transit-

changiairport.com/in-transit/recommended-tra…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport stopover

Sounds great - can I get a cold beer at the same time!!!!

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport stopover

Hi we have a short stopover at Changi can we use Austalian Dollars to buy some food ?