We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Little India a toruist attraction or not?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Is Little India a toruist attraction or not?

Unlike over at Chinatown, I found Little India to be a bit boring. I had hoped to see some nice architecture or some impressive shops, but all I saw was one colourful building painted multi-coloured, and then a few tiny shops along the road. Of course, there were many outlets in eat curry, but I found it really disappointing. I didn't really know what I was supposed to be looking at. I also found it dirty and unhygienic compared to the rest of Singapore, but I guess that's to be expected... at times it really did feel like I was in Delhi.

Maybe I walked around the wrong area?

Edited: 31 March 2014, 11:10
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Little India a toruist attraction or not?

I think you missed the point the completely :(

No it's not a tourist attraction and neither is China town ( though it's proximity to the CBD means rents have gone up and traditional Bussiness have had to move out.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Little India a toruist attraction or not?

It's a living, breathing, working place and home to many Singaporeans. It's ''shop-houses'' and restaurants and the enormous ''Mustafa's are a vibrant and integral part of Singapore for all to enjoy.

It's inconceivable that any visit I made to Singapore wouldn't include a day or two wandering around the place. The aromas, colours, the buildings and the warmth of it's people are a joy. I love Little India, I think as ''Manster'' suggested, ''you missed the point completely''.

3. Re: Is Little India a toruist attraction or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 11:21
Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Little India a toruist attraction or not?

hello, if by "tourist attraction" you mean an area catering to tourists then Little India is not such area. All in this area - from shophouses to restaurants" to caters to locals and this is why IMO the area is really interesting for a tourist that want to experience a slight feeling of the "real" Singapore beside the stereotype of modern Singapore like Marina Bay.