We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

Goolwa, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

Need help please. Want to stay in 4 or 5 star hotel, with a view of Marina Bay so I can see the light show at night. We are staying for 5 nights, August 25 to 30, then embarking on the Sea Princess for a 14 night Asian cruise to Fremantle. We would like a balcony with open windows. Marina Bay Area looks as though it would be convenient, but with so much choice, I am getting confused. Perhaps there is something close by. I want to go to Raffles for afternoon tea, so which hotels are close enough to walk to it? Cost about $300 Australian is ok. We want to be able to walk to eateries and local attractions, plus be close to transport. One thing we want to see is the Zoo and gardens and natural beauty. Night life does not interest us. How does one sort out a room that is in a relatively quiet area?, as we both are light sleepers, so listening to parties and night clubs would not suit us at all.

Hope someone can make some good suggestions. Really looking forward to seeing Singapore.

More of a traditional accommodation, rather than a very modern one, would suit us.

Thank you in advance.

Sally.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

Here a list of hotels with both their locations/Map and prices. What fun you can have doing your research for a first visit to Singapore. Lucky you.

Just go to the map and move your cursor across each hotel/location you are interested in and details will come up for a more specific search.

Good luck and happy researching.

www.booking.com/city/sg/singapore.html?

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,163 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

Within walking distance to Raffles would cover most of the Marina Hotels, and several in the City Hall area plus those at the river mouth.

With a view of MBS - Pan Pacific if you book a balcony room as from memory they all fact the bay, especially if you ask for as high as possible for a good view and it also fits your open window option - though can I ask why the open windows requirement as even at night that balcony is warm and not a cool, breezy benefit. Marina Mandarin and Marina Oriental both as well - though I do not know what grade rooms face thebay (or if bay view is a room type). Conrad will be blocked. The right room in the Swissotel Stamford or the Fairmont will face the right angle with the right height. Similarly the Fullerton set of hotels will have room that face the right direction - I think the Fullerton Bay would fit. Again it depends on if Bay view is a type that charges extra or not. Otherwise it is request and hope. You will also need to check which ones have balcony rooms and which balconies face the right way. The Swissotel did lock its balconies a while back because someone fell out and I do not know if they have unlocked them or not - so worth double checking unless someone else here knows (which is likely).

TO be honest with any of the hotels in the Marina, you get a good view of the light show just by going out to the Esplanade waterline (or anywhere on the Promanade waterfront) and that's a few minutes walk for any of them. SO if you do not get a room ideal for viewing its not a lot of effort to get into a good position.

Attractions are scattered all over the city and island so wherever you stay you will be near something. The curve from Marina Bay, through City Hall and down to the river mouth is however close to a number of monument and historical buildings in and around the Civic District, the Padang, Civilian War Memorial, the Asian Civilisation Museum, Gardens by the Bay if you cross the Helix Bridge from Marina Bay, you can get to the Merlion Park and the River Cruise as well easily enough. Anything outside that then either MRT or Taxi (which is a cheap option in Singapore compared to Australia from memory) will get you there.

Again in that curve there are a number of MRT stations near those hotels - Esplanade, Promenade on the Circle Line, City Hall on the red and green lines, plus Bras Basah and the Circle Line again for the City Hall places and the Fullerton is not far from Raffles Place MRT (red and green again). Depending on where you are in the hotels I mentioned you will be no more than 5mins walk from an MRT, and within 10-15 a decent connectivity set...a bit longer if you walk slower (or deliberately choose aircon routes for some areas).

THere's buckets in the way of places to eat in that area - the list is too long to repeat without a bit more specificity but there is a lot.

Quiet is not a problem really - the hotels I listed are all well sound proofed or big enough to place you out of the noise in general.

You mention the zoo as a place you want to go - that's best got to with a taxi - about 30mins and about 20SGD off peak. If you are going to use taxis, be aware there are a long list of possible surcharges that kick in at various times. They are all posted on the rear window of the taxis, but the common ones are evening peak times is 30%, post midnight is 50%, pick up inside the CDB and the airport is a few dollars and if you go through ERP gantries you have to cover the toll (these range from 1-2SGD). If you want to get an idea of how much things cost the gothere.sg is the taxi, bus and MRT fare calculator I use and its pretty accurate plus for taxis you get a breakdown of the fee structure as well so you know what to expect.

Gardens and Natural spaces - the main Botanic Garden with the National Orchid Garden within is my hot spot there - the main garden is free, the National Orchid Garden is 5SGD for adults but 1SGD for over 60s. I walk there from Orchard MRT and enter at the Tanglin gate myself and explore from there.

The new Gardens by the Bay are a lot more high tech in presentation than the traditional park style of the Botanic Gardens but its big new space.

You have assorted national parks around - Labrador, Fort Canning, East Coast, Bukit Timah etc - there's a lot but the two to consider might be Sungei Buloh Wetlands and if you were adventurous you can go out to Pulau Ubin from Changi and walk round Chek Jawa's shoreline park.

That said a fair number of the bigger attractions have a lot of open space - there's a decent amount on Sentosa including its nature trail, the zoo is built into the vegetation etc etc....so it depends precisely what you are after from your natural space. Singapore isn't described as a garden city for nothing...

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
19,925 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

Hello Sally,

Myrm has covered the 4-5 star hotels in City Hall and Marina Bay that meet your criteria, though you will pay extra for having the balcony room. I find their balconys narrow, often with no little table and chairs, and it's so hot and humid outside that you may not wish to stay outside long, or leave the balcony door open too much.

If you want to have High Tea in the Tiffin Room at Raffles Hotel it's advisable to book ahead. Google the hotels own website and look in the dining section to find the Tiffin Room. There should be an email address there to make a reservation for a particular day and time.

There are many Traveller Articles and Links in our forums Top Questions section that might be of interest to you. Top Questions are up towards the top of this page, and all down the right-hand side.

This one on Singapore for Seniors might particularly suit you -

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g294262-c205365/Si…

Edited: 03 April 2014, 21:23
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

You might always want to check out the Kranji Countryside - www.kranjicountryside.com/heritage.html

It is a pristine area with farms and historical sites. I would recommend it over the zoo!

There's really yummy local organic food over at Bollywood Veggies (no 11. on the map) as well.

Have a good trip!

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

Actually, you choice is limited of you want a balcony and a view of the bay. Pan Pacific Balcony room ( highest floor only or your view is interrupted. Also the design of the balcony means the view from sitting or bed level position is impaired. The prime option would be the bay view balcony rooms ( balconies are of decent size) at the Fullerton Bay hotel.

The only other hotel in Marina Bay with balconies is the MO but they face the other way. Only a few rooms at the regular Fullerton have uninterrupted views and it's hard to guarantee those.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
19,925 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

Mankster has just listed some wonderful hotels with balconies. It would be a delight to stay in those and wander out onto your balcony with harbour views, but they are likely to be well over the Au$300 a night you specified. For that price you can get an ordinary room in many of the Marina Bay/harbour hotels mentioned above. So you may need to increase your budget to guarantee a balcony, eg. Fullerton Bay harbour view for those dates is probably about Au$500-625nt.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

Just wanted to add that do plan on using some taxis as an option in Singapore - I know in Australia they are hideously expensive everywhere but in Singapore they are not expensive at all by Australian standards and often are definitely the best option if you need to travel somewhere not in immediate walking distance.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

Hi

I haven't ploughed through all the responses to your original queries - but please bear in mind that it WILL be very humid - Goolwa SA in winter months it isn't ! For us "older" folks, it is very draining and you should plan your days accordingly. We lived there for 2 years some time back and it took us 3 months to acclimatise !

Whatever, enjoy yourselves (we shall be back there in July).

Jim

Goolwa, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

Hi Jim,

Yes I know it will be humid and not what we are

used to with living in mild temperatures at Goolwa. I guess cotton clothing will be the best option.

I think I will be drinking lots of water!

booked into Pan Pacific which looks a good location.

Goolwa, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to singapore for two seniors in August.

Hi Myrm,

thanks for your long answer. I have taken on board what you suggested and have booked the Pan Pacific, and have not worried about a balcony! Where we live it never gets humid, so I think the humidity might just slow us down. Taxis sound the way to go. Tried to get rate including breakfast without success. At $41 per head at the hotel, I think we will be looking elsewhere? Know of a close by place?

Thanks again.

Sally