We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

Reading, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

Hi all,

Planning a trip to Singapore at the end of August and looking for some general advice -

1. Not sure how long to stay in each location. The only definite things we want to do is Universal and the S.E.A. Aquarium.

2. I have been recommended to go to KL via a coach trip over land, but not really looked into it more than that. If its not worth the trip for 3-4 days in KL we will stick to Singapore. What would be best?

3. Where would the best location for us to stay be? Is public transport in Singapore like it is in Hong Kong as I've been there several times and would be happy to travel somewhat if we can get a better hotel by not staying in the central tourist areas? I don't have a set budget, probably at most £1000 on accommodation but obviously I wouldn't mind cheaper ;)

4. What are the must see attractions in both locations? The girifriend has mentioned the orchid gardens I think, but thats about it.

thanks!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

Hi,

The questions raised can have multiple answers based on personal preferences. A lot of information can be found in the forums older posts or on the yoursingapore page for example. However please find my feedback below:

1. Not sure how long to stay in each location. The only definite things we want to do is Universal and the S.E.A. Aquarium.

--> i have returned from SIN last week from my 3rd visit and have stayed over 30 days in total and stil enjoy the place. I have also been in KL and would say that KL is good for a few days and then it is nice to go to Penang, Langkawi etc. Singapore has a lot to offer but that is my preference. Ratio wise i would spend more days in SIN then KL.

2. I have been recommended to go to KL via a coach trip over land, but not really looked into it more than that. If its not worth the trip for 3-4 days in KL we will stick to Singapore. What would be best?

--> i have taken an AirAsia flight from SIN to KL and found it very relaxed. Of course there is the wait at the airport but i prefer that and go on a 55 min flight. Only thing to keep in mind is that air asia will land at the LCC terminal and not the international airport. Travel time to downtime KL will be around 1,5 hours. The bus will drive you straight to downtown. This will be a choice based on your own comfort, budget vs time you have.

3. Where would the best location for us to stay be? Is public transport in Singapore like it is in Hong Kong as I've been there several times and would be happy to travel somewhat if we can get a better hotel by not staying in the central tourist areas? I don't have a set budget, probably at most £1000 on accommodation but obviously I wouldn't mind cheaper ;)

--> HK has ok public transport but cant compare to SIN. The MRT is easy and very efficient. Waiting time is between 2-5 min. Connections are also clearly indicated. Therefore location can be away from sites like Orchard, Marina bay. I wouls advise to look into the hotel section on TA as there are reasonably priced hotels in top locations but with very attractive rates. Please note that the bus and taxi is also a cost effective solution in Singapore.

4. What are the must see attractions in both locations? The girifriend has mentioned the orchid gardens I think, but thats about it.

--> for this i would advise to browse on TA and go to the attractions tab. In singapore the givens are: the flyer, singapore zoo, botanical gardens, bird park, marina bay area, gardens by the bay and Orchard road.

In KL it would be the Towers, independance square etc.

I think by browsing this forum and the main pages on TA for KL and Sin a lot will become clear, but hopefully the above helps to start.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel
Level Contributor
17,657 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

Hello,

The tourism website has lots of great information on attractions and sightseeing www.yoursingapore.com

Also, our forums Top Questions section is where we have gathered a lot of links and articles on Public Transport, recommended Hotel lists, sightseeing - what to see and do, local dining and shopping etc. To find Top Questions, scroll up towards the top of this page and TQ are all down the right-hand side.

The Things to Do section will also give you a chance to read through the reviews of all the attractions in Singapore and Sentosa and choose what you would like to do while in the city. Things to Do can be found within the Green coloured banner across the top of this page. I am sure you will find a lot you like.

It's hard to recommend a hotel to you right now as you have mentioned 1000 British pounds, but not said how many nights that is for, or whether that is just for the hotel in Singapore, or KL as well. If you can please narrow it down to a figure per room per night in Sgd$ we can suggest quite a few for you to investigate further. Your budget will also determine which area of the city to stay, eg. Sentosa Island hotels can be pricey, Marina Bay contains most of the 4-5 star luxury hotels, along Orchard Road can be expensive, but there are a couple of mid-range 4 star options just behind the Orchard area. Clarke Quay, City Hall, Dhoby Ghaut and Bugis have a mix of 4 star hotels and budget options. Chinatown, Little India, Jalan Besar and Lavender areas are where the budget to mid-range hotel options and many hostels are located.

Reading, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

sorry, long day. we would be staying between the 23rd and 31st of August and have a budget of around 300sgd $ per night. I think we may end up skipping KL as it will take a day out of our holiday travelling between the two and thats something I would like to avoid.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel
Level Contributor
17,657 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

Hi again,

Sgd$300nt is a good budget and should get you a well-located 4 star hotel. You can read the reviews of these and see candid guest photos by typing it's name into the search box at the top right side of this TA page. Here is a list for you to check prices and see if any suit. This list is not exhaustive. There are more comprehensive hotel lists and boutique hotel lists in our Top Questions section.

Rendezvous Hotel

Fairmont Hotel

Swissotel the Stamford

Swissotel Merchant Court

Royal Plaza on Scott's

Holiday Inn Orchard City Centre

Holiday Inn Express Singapore Orchard Road

Holiday Inn Express Clarke Quay

Grand Park City Hall Hotel

Grand Park Orchard Hotel

Oasia Hotel

Park Regis

Park Hotel Clarke Quay

Parkroyal on Beach Road

Village Hotel Bugis

Village Hotel Albert Court

Traders Hotel

Bliss Hotel

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
46,994 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

<<have a budget of around 300sgd $ per night>>

Very decent budget, you`ll have lots of options to check: out of Avanti50`s list in post # 4, i`d concentrate on -

Swiss MC

Fairmont

Royal Plaza on Scott's

Oasia Hotel

Park Regis

if i were you.

Reading, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

Thanks - quick question. The Forest by Wangz seems to come up in this price range and also comes up as the top place to stay in Singapore yet it has not been recommended here, why is that?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,514 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

Forrest by Wangz is in a poor location for tourists and is 3.5-4 * at best, whilst your budget will get a 5* hotel in a better location.

Reading, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

Ahh ok, thought there must be a reason! Will take a good look at the hotels that have been suggested.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
46,994 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

Janomin,

Happy looking!

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 days in Singapore/Malaysia - Where to stay and what to do

<2. I have been recommended to go to KL via a coach trip over land, but not really looked into it more than that. If its not worth the trip for 3-4 days in KL we will stick to Singapore. What would be best?>

KL is definitely not a place to spend 3-4 days but there are better options in Malaysia for a short getaway. Here are a few options:

1. Langkawi Island - (connected by direct flight from Singapore)

2. Taman Negara (National Park) - About 6 hrs from KL using a combination of road + a river boat. (4 hrs road to Kuala Tebeling then a 2 hr ride in a river boat to the park)

3. Cameron Highlands (about 4 hrs by road from KL)

If you choose option 2 or 3, you could spend 1 or 2 days sightseeing in around KL and then travel further to Taman Negara or Cameron Highlands.

Budget airlines flights between Singapore and KL are pretty affordable. I recommend that you fly to KL instead of taking a bus.