We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
Save Topic
Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

Hi I'm travelling to Singapore soon, and I just wanted to know the smoothest way possible to carry my dokha (Arabic tobacco) into Singapore. I am not yet 18 years old, does this affect anything? Is there any way possible to avoid paying duty taxes, and if no, how much would it usually cost? I'm carrying a bottle of 30-90 grams of the dokha. Please help! I don't want my parents to find out yet, what's the quickest and smoothest way of bringing my dokha in?

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,828 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

Hello,

There is no DF allowance on tobacco to carry in Singapore AT ALL. Either you have to pay the duties of 35.2 Singapore cents per gram or part thereof, and GST of 7%, or all tobacco and tobacco related products will be confiscated on the customs. Do not TRY to play games in this area as all luggage is screened BEFORE carousel on arrival and sniffing dogs are working 24/7.

Visitors should refer to the official information on tobacco duties at the Singapore Customs website (http://www.customs.gov.sg).

Your age is of no matter.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

<< I don't want my parents to find out yet>>

Ha-ha-ha... i do not know about your parents, but Singapore customs is already alerted with your post. This forum is closely monitored by SIN authorities.

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

So as long as I agree to pay the price, it should be fine? Also, what is the process - do I have to declare it anywhere specially before checking in, or after I land or anything?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,272 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

If you are underage, it is illegal to possess tobacco regardless of whether you pay the duty or not.

customs.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/BBC98020-02CE-4A…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,004 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

Read this Official Site for More details:

ifaq.gov.sg/Customs/…FAQ_31592

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

Hmm, thank you for notifying me. Just to clarify, doesn't the document only mention cigarettes? Dokha is not chemically treated like cigarettes are, so I believe it's less harmful. Does the ban still apply?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,272 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

Under Section 11 (1) of the Tobacco (Control of Advertisements and Sale) Act, any minor (those under 18 years old) who is caught using, purchasing or possessing any tobacco can be fined up to $300.

- See more at: straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story…

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,272 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

Tobacco is harmful to health (as shown by medical evidence) and puts you at higher risk of developing cancer. For your sake, don't even think of trying it.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,828 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

There is no DF allowance on tobacco to carry in Singapore AT ALL - cigarettes, cigars, sniff tobacco, pipe tobacco, cigarillos etc, even electronic cigarettes are not allowed.

Singapore Customs warns that buying, selling,

conveying, delivering, storing, keeping, having

in possession or dealing with contraband cigarettes and tobacco are serious offences under the Customs and GSTActs. Stiff penalties are imposed for such offenses. For possessing a packet of duty-unpaid cigarettes/ tobacco, buyers face a minimum fine of $500 or

prosecution in court.

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

Gah, okay. Thank you for letting me know, it's better that I find this out here than be fined when I land. The references were helpful too. :)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,272 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carrying dokha/medwakh from UAE into Singapore?

You are welcome. You seem to be a well mannered youth with a bright future ahead of you. Make the right choice with your health.