We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a visit to Sentosa in July - scared of monkeys!!!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a visit to Sentosa in July - scared of monkeys!!!

I was planning to book the Shangri La Rasa Sentosa hotel for my family , however, have been reading (and watching on you tube) things that suggest there are a LOT of monkeys around the property.

We were going to book a garden room as we thought we could sit outside at night whilst our 3 year old is asleep inside, however, I am now rethinking this as dont fancy sharing my cold glass of wine with a monkey!

Are there really a lot of monkeys there? Would I be better getting a room with a balcony rather than the patio? Or is this hotel monkey central? Should I go elsewhere? I have booked flights but not hotel yet so can be flexible.

I know I am a big baby but dont fancy the thought of being scared all week long on holiday.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a visit to Sentosa in July - scared of monkeys!!!

Find another hotel!

You are already paranoid, and it will only get worse.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a visit to Sentosa in July - scared of monkeys!!!

Yes I have to agree, if you are already worried before you get there, the throught no matter how remote of a wine drinking monkey, will spoil your holiday by playing on your mind. Try one of the Resorts worlds hotels which are more centrally located on Sentosa.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 12:54
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
54,005 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a visit to Sentosa in July - scared of monkeys!!!

Hello,

No doubt you have to chose ANOTHER hotel.

Golden rule; if you feel uneasy or unsure about any aspect of your travel, avoid it!

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a visit to Sentosa in July - scared of monkeys!!!

For a rough idea - in 25 years I have seen the monkeys on Sentosa precisely 3 times and only once in the last 10. All were on the western end of the island - once in Fort Siloso from about 100m away - once they were down on the shoreline on the northern coast at around 50m and the other time off to the side of the Nature Trail at 20m and rapidly expanding as they ran for it. Now I haven't stayed in a hotel on Sentosa, particularly the Rasa Sentosa which is where hotel guests typically have reported seeing them so cannot really say what happens in the evening round there...but during the day they kept their distance.

The staff if they have any sense will have a policy of chasing them off and persuading guests not to feed them and so break their fear of humans and that's what seemed to happen at Fort Siloso if they were on the paths.

If that's enough exposure or risk of exposure that you will dwell on it then stay elsewhere.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a visit to Sentosa in July - scared of monkeys!!!

I've stayed at the Rasa Sentosa about 5 times. The only time I have seen monkeys was the last visit - the monkey came down from the trees and sat in the shallow part of the swimming pool. After a while he retired to the roof of pool bar.

If the monkeys are going to bother you, don't stay there.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a visit to Sentosa in July - scared of monkeys!!!

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I am thinking this might not be the best option after all!

7. Re: Planning a visit to Sentosa in July - scared of monkeys!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:16