We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese New Year

adelaide
Level Contributor
150 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese New Year

We will be going arriving in Singapore in the 2015 Chinese New Year week (around late Feb) can anyone suggest a good idea to do on the New Years night, (i understand it may be crowded). Any restaurant suggestions or cafes would be appreciated. I thought I may book early before we go, there will be 4 or us. Tried the river dinner cruise, but all booked up. :(

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese New Year

If you're looking for fine dining, you could try Sky On 57 at Marina Bay Sands or Salt Grill & Sky Bar at ION Orchard. Both have magnificent views.

If you're looking for an authentic Chinese New Year experience, head over to Chinatown. It doesn't get any more lively and authentic than that.

adelaide
Level Contributor
150 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese New Year

Thanks, forgot about China Town, do you recommend checking out the restaurants a day or two before or just go there early and see whats happening? and what is available?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese New Year

I'll recommend Old Chang Du, a Chinese restaurant located next to the Chinatown MRT station (Exit A), in the most crowded Pagoda Street of chinatown during this festive season.

Price is right, food quality is good. But please be reminded most Chinese food comes either oily or Spicy.

adelaide
Level Contributor
150 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese New Year

Thanks, will check this out when we visit Chinatown before Chinese New Year.

Any other recommendations, maybe somewhere near the Marina I hear they have fireworks for the New Year.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese New Year

Most Chinese families will be having reunion dinner on the CNY's Eve, and there will be family and friends gatherings on all days during the CNY week, so make sure to make reservations if you are heading to a Chinese restaurant.

You may like to try the Imperial Treasure Group of restaurants. They have one at Marina Bay Sands.

imperialtreasure.com/en/…description

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese New Year

Avoid being too near to CNY. Some Chinese restaurants will be close on the eve afternoon or even on the eve. Some open through out but possibly charging higher prices due to super festive perk season. CNY is a very big day in the Chinese calendar, will charge higher prices for food due to the festive season especially in chines restaurants. Avoid weekends nearer to eve and also walk in during this period. You are just trying your luck with no guarantee of a table. As for western food, I don't think there is any problem.

7. Re: Chinese New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:16