We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Singapore Sales

Perth
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Great Singapore Sales

Hi, I would like some feedback on the Great Singapore Sales. I am unsure as to whether to delay my visit until the sales in 2015, or is the sale just a tourist hype. I would like some advice from people who are used to prices/shopping in Australia.

Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Singapore Sales

It's a bit hard to say really. It would depend on your shopping habits and personal price points. In case you hadn't yet, you could probably go to this year's GSS website to gauge how the discounts are like.

greatsingaporesale.com.sg/gss-2014/index.html

Another good period for sales would be year end, Christmas and gift buying makes for sales time.

You might get a good deal on accommodation though.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Singapore Sales

Hi, we just returned from Singapore in the last week. Agree with silverelf, it depends on what you are shopping for. You will find lots of brands that we don't have in Australia. Also most of the shopping centres have tourist privileges which is usually a 10% discount if you show them your passport, plus you can get back the GST(less serivce fee)if spend over $100 on one docket. HTH

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Singapore Sales

As what the others posted it really depends on what you want to buy, I normally stock up in June when I get plenty of Birthday discounts or in December when there are two/three sets of different sales for the entire month, pre-christmas, post-christmas and pre-chinese new year.

Last year there were quite a number of shops offering 50% during the December sales that I did not see for the GSS. It all boils down to what you want and luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Singapore Sales

I just got back on the weekend - tourist hype!

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
436 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Singapore Sales

We went last year.

Don't get me wrong- I like shopping like the next Retail therapy seeking person!

But I didn't feel like the prices blew me away.

You can get great stuff all year round if you hunt hard enough.

MAYBE, if you are looking for something specific, and know a certain retailer will discount it, then maybe it's worth it.

When we went to Dubai a few years ago, when they had mid-year sales- Wow, that was worth it!. I got a Pierre Cardin suit for 75% off, including tailoring. ( Sorry to go off-topic!! )

IMHO, not worth it, just go whenever, you will enjoy it!

Cheers

Paul

Edited: 26 June 2014, 01:19
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Singapore Sales

I would say it all depends on luck wherever you go. The chances of finding a bargain during sales is much better though certainly not a guarantee. Recently I came across Longchamp bags at a local exhibition fair going for cheaper than duty free prices in France, with additional discounts available for multiple purchase.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
392 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Singapore Sales

We are just about to leave Singapore now have enjoyed the GSS every year for the last 6 years and this year no different. Myself and two daughters are going home very happy shoppers and definitely scored some bargains.There is such a wide range of shopping areas and quite a few we don't have in Oz and as above June is my birthday month so extra discounts too. I suppose is subjective but I have always found it worth it.

8. Re: Great Singapore Sales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:16