We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

gold coast
Level Contributor
214 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

Hi everyone

My daughter and I are visiting Singapore in sept for 8 nights, we were wondering if it is worth going to KL for an over night shopping trip? Is flying the best way to get there? Do we need a visa if we go? Would it be an international flight? ( need to check in a couple of hrs before flying) Is it something I should even consider? Lol. We would really appreciate any advise on this. Thank you in advance. :)

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

Hello, the fastest way from SG to KL is by airplane. Though you must add time of transport city/airport and time at airport at both SG and KL. Alternate option would be taking the night train.

Singapore and Malaysia are 2 distinct countries so you'll need to clear immigration of both countries each way.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

Can try Airasia budget airline to KLIA2. earliest flight is 7.45am and last flight around 9.45pm I think. you can check out Airasia website. Base on the timing, you can plan your schedule, etc... However, do you have any idea what kind of shopping you are looking for? over night? stay where? hotel booking?

Local travel agents for KL 2D1N trip usually include hotel stay for convenient sake, it is easy that way. Unless you want to do it yourself by booking coach and hotel separately (could be cheaper that way). However, coach journey is ~5-6hrs per way. So you trip may be cut short due to departure time in KL, usually mid afternoon around 3pm

Or by air, journey from KLIA2 to KL city central about 1hr by car or taxi, ~RM 70-80 depending traffic condition (meter rate) or negotiate with driver the amount before taking.

FYI, the Malaysia Mega sale ends on 1 Sept.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 15:34
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,055 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

<< we were wondering if it is worth going to KL for an over night shopping trip?>>

Hello,

IMO, if your main imperative SHOPPING - trip to KL is waste of time.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel
Level Contributor
17,748 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

Probably an exhausting and time-consuming detour during your visit to Singapore. As an Australian citizen you don't need a visa to enter Malaysia. You need to work out if it's financially worth it just to save maybe $50 on a couple of handbags and pairs of shoes. Your costs would be transport to and from CHANGI airport, cost of return flight to KL, transport to KL hotel and back, KL Hotel overnight, taxis during the day.

Plus the need to change money into Malaysian currency. KL airport formalities and transport into the city isn't as smooth and hassle-free and quick as Singapore.

It's up to you, but I think you can tell my opinion of the plan. I would keep the few hundred dollars and spend it in Singapore, maybe high tea at Raffles Hotel, nice Day Spa experience.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

I agree that it doesn't seem worth it just for shopping, unless you know what you want to buy and which mall to buy it in.

Flying is by far the easiest way to travel between the cities, with AirAsia and the other LCCs flying into KLIA2. Firefly flies into into Subang which is smaller and nearer the centre of the city, but still a decent taxi fare.

gold coast
Level Contributor
214 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

Thank you for all of your help, I think I will give it a miss and do the high tea at Raffles, love that idea thank you :))

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,055 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

Wise decision, and you are certainly VERY welcome......

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel
Level Contributor
17,748 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

Hi again,

If you do plan on having High Tea, here is a great article written by one of our regular contributors -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294262-i1747-k662…

If you choose High Tea in the Tiffin Room at Raffles Hotel, email bookings are recommended. See this link below. Enjoy.

www.raffles.com/singapore/dining/tiffin-room/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
913 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

What type of shopping do you want to do? Is it just for items that are bit cheaper in price than in Singapore? If you have a day free, why not go to Johor Bahru? Here's some blogs to give you an idea.

…blogspot.com.au/2013/02/eat-play-shop-at-jo…

…blogspot.sg/2013/01/how-to-go-from-Singapor…

sophleow.blogspot.sg/2013/12/city-square.html

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in KL for 24hrs from Singapore

BTW, daytrips to Johor Bahru or Batam can be done rather more flexibly than trips to KL. Some locals do such runs regularly. But they know what they are shopping for, and where. Visiting the Carrefour in Batam, now that Singapore doesn't have such places any more? Car maintenance, visiting a favourite eatery, catching a film, marketing (e.g. groceries or household needs) and the like in JB?

Maybe you could see a benefit of such a side trip. But I can see such benefits more for residents than visitors from other countries. Now - a couple of days side trip to Bangkok: maybe? But still, on an 8 day visit to Singapore I'd try to maximize the benefit of that relatively short stay by avoiding cross-border temptations.