We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day itinerary help

Hampshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
2 day itinerary help

Hi everyone, would value some advice on our 2 day itinerary.

My husband and I fly in from HK on Fri 5th Sept, arriving at 3pm, staying at HIExp Clarke Quay. We are fit 50 year olds, fairly used to hot/humid weather (especially husband after 24 yrs in Royal Navy incl 6mths in Iraq) enjoy walking and my hobby is photography. We are interested in seeing:

Colonial Qtr/CBD

MBS/Gardens by the Bay

Chinatown

Little India

Arab Qtr

Zoo/Night Safari

Jurong Bird Park

So far we've thought maybe

1st eve - walk round Clarke Quay then taxi to Night Safari

Day 1 - Taxi to Zoo then taxi/Ex bus to Little India/Kampong Glam, evening in MBS area

Day 2 - Taxi to Jurong then taxi/mrt to China Town, evening in Clarke Quay

or

1st eve - walk through Clarke Quay to CBD to MBS

Day 1 - Little India/Zoo/Night Safari (too much?)

Day 2 - Jurong/China Town/Clarke Quay

Please could anyone advise on pros or cons of suggested intinerary, now wish we'd booked an extra day as Singapore looks amazing, so excited about our trip!

Many thanks

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day itinerary help

I think fitting in both the Zoo and Night safari in in your short itinerary is not advisable. Rather than seeing two zoos in a row, I would rather spend some time exploring the city.

Since you will stay near Clarke Quay, a leisurely evening walk around Clarke Quay and Marina Bay Sands is definitely possible on the day of your arrival. Since you are fond of photography, the Helix bridge near MBS is a great place to take pictures of the CBD near and after sunset. You will need a tripod for low light photography. Clarke Quay will be a great place to have dinner before you retire for the day.

Your Day 1 (Zoo + Little India or Kampong Glam) is perfectly doable and so is Day 2 (Jurong Bird Park + Chinatown). I think you can visit the Night Safari in your next visit.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day itinerary help

Thank you MRahul for your quick reply.

We thought if we had to leave anything out it would be the Night Safari. We would prefer to walk around and explore Singapore. I forgot to ask in my post about the Mid Autumn Festival which we believe is on during our visit. Could you tell me if it's just Chinatown that will have lanterns/street stalls etc?

Thank you

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day itinerary help

I can't comment on the day zoo but we enjoyed the night zoo as it was something different .

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
63 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day itinerary help

regarding the lantern festival, most lighting will be at chinatown area only

Hampshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 day itinerary help

Hi RosieLincs,

Thank you for replying. We've not been to a night zoo so it would be different for us also. I think we will have to play it by ear and see how we feel once in Singapore. If we can squeeze everything in great, if not we have a difficult decision to make!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 day itinerary help

Hello Zingwalker,

many thanks, I'm hoping to get some nice colourful photos of the lanterns etc. Singapore looks like it has so many beautiful areas/buildings to photograph I fear my husband may get a bit impatient with me!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
534 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 day itinerary help

Chinatown, Chinese Gardens & newcomer Gardens By The Bay should have lantern exhibits again. Keep an eye out for press releases closer to the date.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,177 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 day itinerary help

Your initial ideas included 3 of the wildlife parks in Singapore in 2 days. To do the parks properly would really have left one late afternoon and one evening to do anything else other than parks which in a short visit to Singapore is a massive focus on one type of thing.

For such a short trip I would be looking at one or two parks at most if you want any significant variety. For one park its pretty much your choice but I'd likely select one of the big ones - Zoo or Bird Park. For two it would be one of those and the Night Safari. In the absence of any other preferences for which park and the wandering around that you want to get in then I would suggest the Bird Park for the variety plus its a little smaller than the zoo allowing some later afternoon wandering of the type you want. Do the Night Safari on the other evening after a light day to make sure that you are not tired out.

Too many people seem to think its a fairly casual visiting attraction but actually if you want to see things well at the Night Safari you need to invest a decent amount of effort and particularly time. This means you need to be fresh and alert to make the visit really worthwhile. Tiredness means lack of patience and concentration which are what you are trying to avoid. With the Night Safari the tram is often given pride of place for viewing and while you cannot see the entire park without both walking and using the tram - for me it is the walking trails section that are the star of the show. If you spend the time needed to spot the animals (and you may be surprised just how close the invisible animal was before it suddenly moved) then you will get much more than simply walk past and hoping you see something in each exhibit.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 day itinerary help

I would trade MBS/Gardens by the Bay for the Botanic Gardens, which was recently voted Asia's top park by tripadvisor. If you like flowers its National Orchid Garden is not to be missed!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 day itinerary help

thank you Blitzonic, will look out for the press releases