We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

Where can people buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

I tried a couple banks, including the bank (OSBC?) across from Bugis Junction mall, but they didn't sell them or know who did.

I also tried online search engines, but no luck. I suppose they are going out of style. I'd like to buy larger denomination checks to reduce cashing fee costs.

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

hello, you may try HSBC: hsbc.com.sg/1/2/miscellaneous/personal/servi…

Or contact American Express; they should be able to inform you.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,679 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

www.aetclocator.com/TCLocator/maps.do…

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

Travelers cheques are pretty much old technology now, except in a select few countries such as Thailand, where they are still popular. For most of the rest of the world they are very difficult to cash. Given that they are no longer globally accepted or changeable, can I ask just where you intend to use these cheques?

And would ATMs anywhere in the world be a better option?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,679 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

It is the cheapest way to move large amount of "cash" at better than cash rates, immediately access of funds, no need for a bank account at your destination.

ATM subjects to per withdrawal and daily/weekly limits, per withdrawal usage fee.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 21:42
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

Thank you for the replies.

Re post 3 queries, destinations i may soon visit are Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur & Hong Kong. I am presently in Singapore & plan to return.

I normally use plastic cards at ATMs for cash, but keep TCs handy for emergencies, other occasions when ATMs are not available or convenient, & proof of funds required when entering various countries. As the sayings go, don't keep all your eggs in one basket, & the more the merrier.

"T/Cs provide improved security for you, as they can be replaced if lost/stolen."

tripadvisor.com.sg/Travel-g293951-s601/Malay…

"American Express Travelers Cheques are available in 7 foreign currencies and various denominations in Hong Kong and Macao"

americanexpress.com/hk/…faq.shtml

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

That's all very well World_traveler_neo, but the bottom line is that you still have to be able to convert these TCs into usable currency. And the number of countries in which you can do this is steadily dwindling.

We tried for hours in Vietnam. We were marched from bank to bank in Borneo (Malaysia side) with armed guards (a story in itself) to find a bank that took Thomas Cook $US TCs.

Thailand is still good, but the fees and charges have eaten into the viability of using TCs. And with a diminishing number of places worldwide that accept TCs, I'd be very wary of investing a significant amount of money into an exchange medium that has definitely passed its use by date.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

TCs have come in very handy in Thailand which i travel to regularly. Rather than going out in the middle of the night to an ATM with dodgy people about, i cashed TCs at my hotel front desk. Rather than carrying around huge amounts of cash, like 20 or 40 thousand baht as proof of funds on entering the country, or other countries, i have TCs for that purpose. They do not need to be cashed in this instance, but simply shown. When the ATM machine inside my bank refused to dispense funds or ate my card, i had the option to go to the bank's TC department & get the cash i needed. When the hotel's card transaction machine was down or refused my card, i had the possibility of using TCs as an alternative payment method.

8. Re: Where to buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 20:22
9. Re: Where to buy traveler's checks in Singapore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:16