We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E-Cig useage

Darwin
Level Contributor
29 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
E-Cig useage

Hi, This will be our first trip to Singapore and as Hubby is a smoker who is trying to give up he wants to use his e-cig. We have been trying to find out information about if it is ok to use an e-cig in Singapore and only finding old (June 2013) information. We do not want to take it with us if he can't use or worst if it will be confiscated.

thanks in advance :-)

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: E-Cig useage

E Cigarettes are banned on Singapore, in much the same way as chewing gum. If discovered, assume it will be confiscated. The sale of e Cigarettes is a definate no no. If he is smoking a e cigarette, do it only where regular smoking is permitted.

Darwin
Level Contributor
29 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: E-Cig useage

Thanks for the info. Do you know if it will be confiscated if we have it with us? We are not only going to Singapore this trip.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: E-Cig useage

Sorry I don't know. They don't confiscate chewing gum in small quantities from travellers even though it's mentioned in the customs guide to travellers. E cigarettes are not specifically mentioned

customs.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/34F0B785-1F56-42…

So I just would not bring it to anyone's attention.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
5,531 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: E-Cig useage

''"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools." (Douglas Bader, WW11 Flying ace)

Singaporean customs/police are not the tyrannical jobsworths or ''Nazis'' many people seem to think they are. They are intelligent, mostly super polite and use their common sense.

Be discreet in all things and you'll have no worries at all. I'd stick it in my pocket and forget about it, even if in the MOST unlikely event of them ''discovering'' it, just plead ignorance, apologise most humbly and carry on. You won't be imprisoned, caned or put up against a wall and shot. It's just not like that in Singapore, contrary to many fools that seem to think it is, most of whom I suspect have never been to Singapore.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,447 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: E-Cig useage

<<Do you know if it will be confiscated if we have it with us? We are not only going to Singapore this trip.>>

Hello,

As sales and export of e-cig to Singapore is prohibited, you have no chance to use in in public......Hotels are smoke free, and public areas and places too. In the street you can not use it too, as even if people bring their REAL cigarettes to SInN and pay duty they have to carry the duty receipt with them all the time when they intend to smoke in the street etc.

<<trying to give up he wants to use his e-cig>>

Ask your hubby, to do it quicker and in *drop-and -forget* way, the prolongation of ( quitting smoking) does not lead to any good, usually.............

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
12 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: E-Cig useage

Hi How did it go? my husband also uses them, better than cigarette smoking even if not proved 100% safe! We go to singapore, indonesia and Sydney and cannot find conclusive on each country and whether it is ok to take them but use them incedibly discreetly? appreciate your thoughts after your visit

Darwin
Level Contributor
29 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: E-Cig useage

Hi, we also travel to all the places you go and we have never had any problems.

My husband took his e-Cig packed in his carry on bag and had an open pack of tobacco in his pocket. We were not questioned nor were we told to pay any duty.

My hubby was concerned about having to find somewhere to smoke and again he need not have worried. Being conscious of what we had heard; initially he went where others were smoking and then we noticed that in actual fact there are lots of places available. We also noticed people walking around smoking as long as you were 'butt' aware. There are ashtrays in all the bins and we carried a portable tiny ashtray. Even restaurants have smoking areas.

After everything we had read we were surprised by Singapore. For an Asian country yes it is clean however just like anywhere there are 'pockets' of 'not so clean' areas.

We are back there in two weeks so will post again if anything has changed.

enjoy your trip! :-)

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
12 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: E-Cig useage

Thank you for your reassuring response. The things I've read it sounds like they will arrest, fine or confiscate.

Look forward to your update, please do as we go in august and he's got a stress going on about it.

When he smoked normal ciggies we never found probs in Hong Kong or dubai but Singapore, Indonesia & Australia are new to us so Googled & got scared!! Don't want to get caught out ;)

Darwin
Level Contributor
29 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: E-Cig useage

Hi,

Yes that was our worry as well. We were almost convinced that we would end up in Jail for sure!

Indonesia you will be fine as most of the locals smoke. We were ok in Jakarta and we go to Bali all the time and we have not had any problems. They sell the e_cig on the streets there though be careful cause they are not all the real deal ;-)

In Australia you will also be ok.

I will reply in here when we get back and in case I forget to please feel free to send me a message to remind me.

Calgary, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: E-Cig useage

Hi @darwinities, i was searching about e cig in singapore. Did it turn out to be illegal. Please update us. Thank you.

Edited: 28 October 2015, 19:49