We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing duty-free items from Malaysia into Singapore

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing duty-free items from Malaysia into Singapore

Let's say I buy a duty-free cosmetic item (a bar of soap) from a departure lounge in Malaysia. Would I be charged any duty when I fly into Singapore? And when I return to Malaysia, would it be charged any duty?

1. Re: Bringing duty-free items from Malaysia into Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 20:22
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,589 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing duty-free items from Malaysia into Singapore

There no duty on soap in Singapore, only alcohol, tobacco , fuel and motor vehicles

There is no dutyfree allowance on alcohol if you coming from Malaysia.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 15:02
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing duty-free items from Malaysia into Singapore

Thank you for your reply! :D

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing duty-free items from Malaysia into Singapore

But be careful bringing in newspapers, as I remember there is some crazy rule about that.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing duty-free items from Malaysia into Singapore

I'm not sure I understand your question.

1. Singapore may be "duty-free" on many things, but has GST rules. Certain folks are permitted to bring in certain items (not alcohol from Malaysia, or tobacco from anywhere, etc.) up to a certain value - with amounts over that amount subject to GST.

2. What Malaysians are permitted to bring into Malaysia from Singapore should be clearly posted on appropriate Malaysian govt Websites.

3. But another question: are you imagining that you can buy a bar of soap cheaper airside (duty free) in an airport, compared with a value-oriented place in town (e.g. Giant or better)? Or is "a bar of soap" stealth for branded cosmetics and perfumes? In any case, it might be wise to compare in-town prices in Penang with airside airport prices there, with prices (both landside and airside) in Singapore before lugging a hundred bars of soap (or other) around on your trip to save a few RM.

4. BTW, you can check the airside shops at Changi Airport before going through Singaporean immigration and customs. So you can make notes of Singaporean airside prices before entering the island city and in-town prices.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 07:04
6. Re: Bringing duty-free items from Malaysia into Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:15