We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out - Orchard Road Area

near brimingham
Level Contributor
127 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out - Orchard Road Area

Hi,

Considering a trip Singapore and stopping in the Orchard Road area in October for a week with my partner.

We've noticed that the majority of the hotels do not include breakfast within the cost of the room and those that do offer it is cicra £45 per day extra on top.(through Expedia)

This seems very expensive for breakfast to me or is this typical of what we should pay? By the way, not looking to eat caviar and champagne! - fresh orange juice, toast and eggs is fine for us!

Many thanks

Jean

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
13,409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out - Orchard Road Area

Buffet breakfasts in 5 start hotels are a lavish affair with more choices and variety than you will ever be able to try, and you can eat enough to take you through till dinner. If you you want a lighter meal, chose from the a la cart menus or room service if you want to eat in your hotel. If popping out try Wild Honey which have a couple of locations near Orchard Road.

http://wildhoney.com.sg/11/index/

Ofcourse there are plenty of other places along the way where you can get a more local breakfast for $5 a person or thereabouts.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 14:59
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out - Orchard Road Area

A cost 45GBP per day (90SGD) is about what to expect for 2 breakfasts in a higher end hotel in Singapore. yes it is pricey - it is an unlimited buffet but yes, its expensive.

That's why I always go room only to Singapore.....its far too easy to go out of any hotel to the nearest mall and pick up a decent breakfast for 5-7SGD anywhere in the city.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out - Orchard Road Area

Try some of the traditional kaya toast and eggs at places like Ya Kun or Toast Box, you can find them in many of the shopping malls in the city area:

http://www.yakun.com/

http://www.toastbox.com.sg

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out - Orchard Road Area

''Expensive'' ?

That seems to suggest the breakfasts in the five star hotels are not ''worth it'', trust me they are worth every cent (imvho)

My wife an I still talk about breakfasters and indeed ''posh'' meals we had fifty years ago, with the fondest of memories.

Go on TREAT yourselves, you've already spent a small fortune travelling around the world, a couple of breakfasts aren't going to see you out on streets, homeless, and WHAT memories. being ''posh'' for a couple of days.

Other than that there are hundreds of less expensive options around ''Orchard'', in every shopping mall, Hawker and food court where for a couple of quid or so the list of foods are endless, memorable and possibly every bit as good, but for different reasons.

Good luck whatever you do and trust me every experience in Singapore is worth it's weight in gold. Be happy.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,695 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out - Orchard Road Area

>> Go on TREAT yourselves,

every morning for a week? That's how long OP is staying. After all that eating (to make it "worth every cent") I hope they bring enough medication and/or have enough time to work off the food.

Some hotels on Orchard do include breakfast at normal room rates, but I guess those are not up to OP's expectation.

Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out - Orchard Road Area

hi fletchie,

Depending on your program for the day and where you are staying in orchard. If you are planning to have breakfast before 10am, there are limited selections. The safest and most economical would be 24 hours MacDonald, cheap and good. Most shopping boutiques are usally open by 10am, some at 11am latest. You may consider our local food courts for a meal less than SGD 7.

Ya Kun and Toast box are pretty good and at good locations. Do check it out.

Cheers~

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out - Orchard Road Area

''I hope they bring enough medication and/or have enough time to work off the food.''

Of course how silly of me, it's all about QUANTITY, not quality. tut, tut. Must have our money's worth, must stuff ourselves senseless because we've ''paid for it''. One man's ''worth'' is another man's expensive/cheap..

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out - Orchard Road Area

I'm with ddiggs on this one. In the UK we have porridge day in day out, but when in Singapore we always go for the hotel breakfast. It is all part of the experience of staying 5 star. We have paid for the flights and the hotel, so the lovely long leisurely breakfast whilst planning for the day ahead, and often sitting in the beautiful gardens by the pool are just an added part of the wonderful experience. Each to their own of course, but for us this special treat is worth every cent. We find we never need lunch and then would eat at hawkers centres for extremely reasonable cost in the evenings.

Fletchie if you are looking to stay in the Orchard Road area, do take a look at the advance purchase rate for Shangri-La Hotel. The Garden Wing & Valley Wing rooms come with breakfast included and are actually

lovely rooms and also include additional offerings like canapes, cocktails etc. We love the Shangri-La, but there are lots of hotels offering similar packages, which can actually work out good value.

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will just love Singapore!

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out - Orchard Road Area

The ION Foodcourt is your best bet. So much by way of food and drink down there that there is something for everybody.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating out - Orchard Road Area

My vote for great around S$5 breakfast would go to Swissbake at Plaza Singapura.