We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raffles High Tea

Australia
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Raffles High Tea

Hi

Never having been to a High Tea or Raffles I had decided that I would do this on our return to Singapore in October. I have read many reviews on this and it seems that there are much better High Teas in Singapore. Will I still experience a good High Tea as well as soaking in the ambience of Raffles or should I perhaps just go to the Long Room for a drink and forget my High Tea?

Thanks

June

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
18,948 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raffles High Tea

Hello,

When I went for High Tea in the Tiffin Room at Raffles it was more about making my reservation by email, receiving a lovely reply from Hotel staff, getting dressed up and arriving at the appointed time, and being seated in a lovely spot to enjoy the ambiance. Being looked after by a nice young gentleman, the lovely old battered silver tea pot with the Raffles crest on it, and just being there to soak up the atmosphere. I felt the food was quite nice. Experience dulled slightly by loud, not very well dressed people who were just there for a massive feed. But still, I felt it was worth it. I sat there in my own little world and really enjoyed it.

Or, I guess you could go to the Long Bar for that famous drink. People either love that, or think it's an overpriced tourist trap. I think it all comes down to your expectations and attitude.

Plenty of places for a fancy high tea -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294262-i1747-k662…

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Raffles High Tea

Life is never going to be what is was in ''the good old days'', ''when I wus a lad''. What is laughingly called ''equality'' has put paid to that, but Raffle's High Tea is still ''Raffle's high tea'', rather like The Ritz in London, or The Bellamia Heladeria in Madrid. are as good as it gets even though anyone, including an element that years ago wouldn't have gotten through the door. Sadly money, not style, can gain access these days. If you're looking for a dream, it probably no longer exists, but Raffle's still does it ''better'' (entirely subjective) than anyone else .

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
306 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raffles High Tea

In 2012 I tried High Tea at Raffles. It was very nice. The staffs there are very caring.

Good luck!

Apex Nepal Treks

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raffles High Tea

I have done Raffles High Tea a number of times. There are places that do High Teas with stunning views (see the Equinox in Swissotel the Stamford), the are those where the spread gets raved about (Goodwood etc). All those have something different, special lets say, to recommend them.

So does Raffles - Raffles does old style colonial splendour like no other (the Fullerton can come close with it being an old colonial building but its still got obvious modernisations in style). The food is excellent and while the table gets served with a traditional three tier tea set, the buffet is unlimited if you wish to go and try the local hot delicacies or add more of the tea service.

I have no doubt that somewhere else will do better food, this is Singapore after all and so good food is really the baseline. However I rate Raffles food well above that baseline - add in the service, the ambience and all those intangibles and its a great experience. Even if the experience side isn't worth anything to you then the food can stand on its own.

As such I always suggest you try Raffles - its not the only place to have High Tea, nor would I suggest its the best for everyone, but its certainly in my opinion worth doing at least the once in a lifetime before either settling there or moving on to find a High Tea that suits you better. Some will prefer the view from Equinox over the format of the Tiffin Room and so gravitate there - Raffles cannot compete on that feature but it doesn't try.

Raffles, like all the good High Teas and Afternoon Teas in Singapore does it's own thing - and really that's what you want to look for in a good Tea in Singapore - what makes it special, and does that feature make it special for you - because it really should be a special event (my opinion, of course).

Australia
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Raffles High Tea

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts.

I am going to Raffles!

As an aside I have been to Equinox last year for our son's 40th buffet lunch - he wanted a view and that's why we went there and we all enjoyed it.

The High Tea is my thing as this will be our last visit to Singapore.

Now looking for an evening cruise up the river or elsewhere as our son wants to see the Singapore lights

from the water. It is zoo much fun planning!!

June

Australia
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Raffles High Tea

You won't be sorry. High Tea at Raffles is lovely.

I think you should also have a Singapore Sling in the long bar. Expensive but oh so nice.

7. Re: Raffles High Tea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 05:16