We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

I will be visiting Singapore for the the first time. I wanted to ask you about the Marina Bay Sands/Gardens by the Bay area. I plan to see the light show on gardens by the bay which happens at 7:45 & 8:45 PM.

How should I plan my itinerary(what should I see) in the best way around this area so it does not become too expensive? What are the timings for the water show on the promenade?

Note: I would not like to go the Flower Dome, Cloud Forest or the Skydeck.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,118 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

Hello SFHGARSENAL,

if you do not intent to go to the domes, then there is no fees to pay for Gardens By the Bay as the Gardens Rhapsody Is FOC. So is Wonderful light show at MBS. Show time is at 8:00 pm and 9:30 pm with extra show at 11:00 pm on Fridays and Saturday. However, depending on when you are here, you may want to check if they are on before heading down as Wonderful may not be on during F1.

My $0.02. Hope this helps.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

Thanks a lot for your reply, SingaporeNancy.

It seems that both shows are very close to each other. So, how should I plan to catch both the shows at MBS and Gardens by the bay. How far they are from each other in terms of walking distance?

Also, are there any other activities/sight seeing places around this area that should not be missed.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,118 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

Hello SFHGARSENAL,

There are a number of attractions around Marina Bay: Singapore Flyer, Helix Bridge, ArtScience Museum, Marina Bay Sands The Shoppe, Marina Bay City Gallery, Gardens By The Bay, the Merlion Park, The Esplanade and the Asian Civilisation Museum. (Hope I did not miss anything) Besides the attractions, there are also good eating places to enjoy Singapore food such as Gluttons Bay, Satay By the Bay and Lau Pa Sat (although not strictly around Marina Bay but walkable distance).

Refer to the list to decide on what you are going to do when you are at Marina Bay. For the light shows, I suggest catching the Garden Rhapsody at 7:45pm at Supertree Grove and then you can walk over via the DragonFly Bridge to the Shoppe. Have a look around The Shoppe while waiting for Wonderful at 9:30 pm. Alternatively, you can walk via the Lower Broadwalk from the Supertree Grove to MBS and have some pictures taken at Helix Bridge before making your way to the Event Plaza in front of The Shoppe.

Here's a map. It should give you some ideas of what I am talking about.

streetdirectory.com/sg/…48202_1.html

Cheers

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

Great, many thanks again :-)

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

This thread too might give you some help. Again has valuable suggestion by SingaporeNancy

tripadvisor.in/…45187494

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

@sanjeev_abhish

In reference to the past thread mentioned above, @Mankster said Gardens by the Bay should be visited first thing in the morning to beat the queue and more quiet. But you said it's better to visit in the evening to enjoy it's optimum beauty. I'm torn between the two. Any final advise?

Thanks!

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
9,118 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

Hello DivaAbroad,

If you notice, that thread was dated 2 years ago. At the time GBB was newly opened and it being a novelty then, it was very crowded with long lines to get into the conservatories.

Today, I would suggest that you visit it in late afternoon/ early evening. You can spend about 2-3 hours in the domes before exploring the outdoor gardens. By this time it would not be too hot outdoors and you will not have a long wait if you want to catch the light show, Garden Rhapsody, at the Supertree Grove.

Cheers

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

Nancy,

Thank you. It's settled then, I'm gonna go with your suggestion and put GBTB for late afternoon on my itinerary.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 20:40
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

nancy, cud u suggest indian reataurant at lau pa sat, very informative thread for travellers.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning an evening around Marina Bay Sands/Garden by the Ba

@anurag

I am just back from Singapore. I would not suggest you to visit Lau Pa Sat just for the food, specially for Indian. Its re opened recently. I am sure Indian food must be there too.

You can get Indian food almost anywhere. Let me know if you need to know about any specific area for the Indian food.