We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended hotels & location

sydney
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommended hotels & location

Hi!

I will be heading to Singapore in February for 4 nights with my husband and 2 year old daughter. Just wondering where you would recommend for us to stay- orchard or clarke quay or elsewhere? We would like to be somewhere that's centrally located, surrounded by good food and good scenery and easy links to transport(Can I ask for anything more-lol!)

Some people's recommendations are the holiday inn orchard and royal plaza on scotts, the novotel and park royal on beach road. Would you recommend any of these or another type of accommodation? Is it work going the breakfast option or just go outside to eat?

Any other suggestions on accommodation, and really, anything you can recommend to see or do would be truly appreciated!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,571 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended hotels & location

<<Any other suggestions on accommodation, and really, anything you can recommend to see or do would be truly appreciated!>>

mabs27, hello and welcome to out forum!

1/ please state your budget/ room/ night???

2/ << Just wondering where you would recommend for us to stay- orchard or clarke quay or elsewhere? >>

For the first timers, City Hall area is the most convenient. My personal fav. in SIN is Clarke Quay ( but i`m not a first timer..LOL)

3/ yoursingapore.com

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294265-Activiti…

Top questions about Singapore

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
19,934 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended hotels & location

Hello,

All of the hotels you mentioned are good quality 4star hotels in very good locations, though Parkroyal on Beach Road is of a slightly lower quality and has a 1980s decor vibe. You haven't mentioned a price per room per night in Sgd$ but if you are looking for 4 star hotels then you might like to check prices and read reviews of these -

Rendezvous Hotel (lovely hotel within walking distance to Dhoby Ghaut and Bras Basah MRT)

Carlton Hotel, Bras Basah Road (across the road from Raffles Hotel and a few mins walk to City Hall MRT)

Parkroyal on Pickering (close to Clarke Quay MRT station)

Hotel Jen Orchard Gateway (opening next week in a great location off Orchard rd near Somerset MRT station)

The Fairmont Hotel (across from Raffles and connected to City Hall MRT)

Swissotel the Stamford (connected to Fairmont)

Swissotel Merchant Court (popular with families and near Clarke Quay MRT)

As for things to do - have a look at our forums Top Questions section. Scroll up to near the top of this page and TQ are all down the right-hand side. Plenty of info on sightseeing, accommodation, local dining,

Also have you looked that the things to do section. Things to Do link is within the green banner across the top of this page.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 22:07
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,934 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended hotels & location

Just realised I didn't answer your breakfast question. Depends on what type of family you are. If you want to pay between Au$25-40 per adult for the extensive hotel buffet breakfast, or maybe a quick coffee, juice,cereal then off sightseeing for the day? Hotel buffets can be lovely, but unless you sit for ages and eat solidly for an hour or so you don't really get your money's worth.

Plenty of local breakfast options in Malls, with outlets like Swissbake, Ya Kun Kaya Toast, Killiney Kopitiam. Only cost Sgd$3-5 each. If you choose a smaller modern hotel like Bliss Hotel, Chinatown (few mins walk to Chinatown MRT) which has no cafe/restaurant you can wander and find a cheap local breakfast.

Or maybe a hotel like Holiday Inn Express Clarke Quay, or Holiday Inn Express Singapore Orchard Road then a light cafeteria style breakfast is included in the room rate.

sydney
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended hotels & location

Hi! Apologies for that, it was beginning to get late and sleep deprivation made me a bit vague! yes, we are looking at maybe around 200-250AUD$/night-not sure about location yet, would clarke quay be better or orchard rd? where is city hall area? Sorry, complete noob here-to Singapore anyways! ;-)

The other thing is why are there a lot of twin/double bed configurations? Ideally I'd like a king size bed- is that what they mean by "extra large double?"

Edited: 03 September 2014, 00:14
sydney
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended hotels & location

Hotel Jen looked to good to pass up! we have booked it in, thanks for your help!

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,934 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended hotels & location

Nice, we have all just been discussing the new Hotel Jen on the forum during the past couple of days. Hope you have a great trip to Singapore.

7. Re: Recommended hotels & location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 06:16