We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No idea!

Level Contributor
192 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
No idea!

Hi, sorry to be so vague but...

I am planning a surprise trip for my husbands 50th. I want to take him to Truk Lagoon and the Phillapines Scuba Diving. As it takes so long to get to Truk I'm thinking about actually stopping in Singapore for 2-3 nights as we would be connecting there anyway. It's somewhere I've never at visiting but would be happy to tick it off my list given the opportunity.

What area would you recommend we stay so I can start looking at hotels? The hotel on our quote was the Marina Bay Sands.

All I am looking for is somewhere nice to spend a few nights and take in a little bit of Singapore. I like a good view, somewhere special to let my other half know where he is about to go so either a nice meal out or an evening cruise.

We normally like to explore places properly but this is more of a special bonus couple of nights before the trip of a lifetime.

Any suggestions are much appreciated

Lucy

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No idea!

Hello, Marina Bay Sands has a great infinity pool and rooms over the marina have great view over the city, service is minimal. In the same area there are the Fullerton hotel, Fullerton Bay, Pan Pacific, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz-Carlton.

City hall is also a great area to stay, very central. The Raffles is a great experience and top service. High floor rooms at Swissotel The Stamford offer great view of the city.

Singapore tourism board website is very useful for sightseeing: yoursingapore.com/content/…see-and-do.html

Level Contributor
192 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No idea!

Thank you!

I love animals so I'm looking at all the parks. Are they close enough to visit more than 1 in a day? I'd like to do the night safari but also singapore zoo and possibly the river safari but would have only one day for that and one full day for the city

Level Contributor
192 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No idea!

I bet Raffles is really expensive but hey it's a special occasion so I will look! The marina area does look really pretty

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No idea!

Singapore Zoo, River Safari and Night Zoo are next to each other so in theory you can all 3 within the same (long) day. Other option is to do the Zoo and River Safari together and the Night Zoo another day.

If you like animals you may want to check the SEA aquarium on Sentosa island, there is a gigantic panoramic ocean tank there.

Marina Bay is great especially at night, you can dine and stroll around the marina, have a drink at Ku De Ta on sunset and enjoy the city scape on top on the Marina Bay Sands. During the day you can visit Gardens by the Bay.

You may consider visiting the other areas of Singapore: Chinatown, Little India, Kampong Glam.

Try local foods at food courts and hawker centres.

For the Raffles you can check their website; from time to time they have a "pay 2 nights and stay 3" package. Be advise the Raffles doesn't offer great view, it is much more about history and experience.

Level Contributor
192 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No idea!

Yes I agree, I think the Marina area will be best, I love all the lights and water at night. The Marina Bay Sands would probably be fine but if service isn't great it may not suit. As it's a special occasion I was hoping to chose a hotel that is more likely to make a fuss of you and arrange a special dinner or something, maybe even an upgrade! It's taken 3 years of secret saving so I want to reveal where we are travelling to in style!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
20,289 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No idea!

I would go for Mandarin Oriental. Fairmont, Swissotel the Stamford, Pan Pacific Marina and choose harbour view rooms or Club Level. You could email the hotel before your trip and let them know it's a special occasion and see what you can arrange, eg. Dinner, wine and chocolates in the room, or some kind of upgrade.

Whatever you choose I hope you both have a memorable trip to Singapore.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: No idea!

If your expectation is to have personalised service and arrangement for a special occasion like this, I won't suggest Marina Bay Sands. Operating 3 towers of hotel with loads of visitors and high occupancy turnover makes their service is in "minimal" (as @huow pointed out).

Go for other luxury brand hotels like Mandarin Oriental, etc.

8. Re: No idea!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 05:16