We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights from Manchester UK

UK
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
flights from Manchester UK

Hi,

Can anyone advise on flights from Manchester UK ? We really wanted equivalent of Virgin Atlantic premium economy but can't seem to find anything. Are there any non-stop flights ? We can only find ones via Dubai.

any help appreciated, thanks

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights from Manchester UK

The only non-stop flight I know is on SIngapore Air. It costs approximately all the money you have and can borrow. <grin>

BA has premium economy (I think) out of London. This probably means a transfer between Heathrow Terminals 1 & 4 (one of my favourite things to do -- just after bungie jumping without a bungie cord.)

Paul

belfast U.K.
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: flights from Manchester UK

Hi

we are flying out of Manchester in summer 2007 direct with Singapore Airlines

No experience of Virgin Premium economy but have flown economy with Singapore Air before and found it way superioir to other airlines economy services

also if you book with them directly and online you can pree book your seats and meals and there is no of that really annoying credit card surcharge for booking

hope this helps

Fester

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights from Manchester UK

If u plan to go to Australia or New Zealand, there is a great promotional rate till next summer and u have a stop over in SIN on SQ from Manchester. It is just about the same price as the direct flight to SIN.

Good Luck

UK
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights from Manchester UK

thanks everyone.

Have found the singapore airlines flight from Manc. I am worried about 12 hours overnight flight in economy though - having suffered a DVT a few years ago (NOT from flying) I am certainly conscious of fairly cramped conditions and no room to move around in the cabin. I'll check out the seats / cabins on their website. thanks for tip about choosing seat, too.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights from Manchester UK

You might like to consider EMIRATES. http://www.emirates.com

MAN - DXB - SIN

If you fly Emirates, you will have to change planes in Dubai. As you mentioned about DVT, the Manchester to Dubai flight sector is about 7 hrs and from Dubai to Singapore is 7.5 hrs. The layover at Dubai airport is 3 hrs. This would good opportunity for you to move around and not stuck in an enclosed space for an extended period. The connections at Dubai airport is convenient. Emirates cabin crews are mostly Australians and Europeans.

Manchester,
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flights from Manchester UK

Live 4 hols!, just book with Singapore Airlines and get up once and a while to stretch your legs and have a walk around the cabin.

The seats are not all that bad in Economy and you are encouraged to move around the aircraft.

Did the same when i went to Hong Kong this May Via Singapore from Manchester on Singapore Airlines and I was only in Hong Kong for 26 hours then Returned!!!

Travelling again with them at end of November with them To Perth(for a little longer this time!!!) From Manchester via Singapore.....as they say " Singapore Airlines what a great way to fly!!!!"

UK
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flights from Manchester UK

Hi Kevin, good advice about Dubai 'break' in travelling.

I will look into that.

thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights from Manchester UK

120873, have you ever been bumped off SAL ? I am told that their flights are very busy at that time of year.

Manchester,
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flights from Manchester UK

Live4Hols, answer to your question is no, I have never been bumped off any of their flights, mind you if I did I would make sure that they compensated me for it!!! ie Raffles Class!!!

We booked our flights for this trip last January through Trailfinders as they had an offer on at the time...I have paid just over £2000 return including taxes to Perth from Manchester for 18days and a 3day stopover with hotel in Singapore on the inbound journey home,which i thought was excellent value for money for 2 adults and 1 Child.

Hopefully will not have any trouble with them bumping as i am travelling with my Wife and Two year old daughter!!!.......

I have to be in Perth for December 8th for a wedding so they could bump me if the price was right!!!!

uk
Level Contributor
208 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flights from Manchester UK

Live-4hols, I have flown from Man-Singapore, we touched down in Mumbai and we could have had a walk around there but we didn't. The seating was find, not as good as Virgin PE (we fly MAN-Barbados with them) but you wont be disappointed they are an excellent airline and we seemed to have more let room than other schedule airlines. I am longing to go back to Singapore and would have no problem with SAL.