We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth visiting Bariloche in late May?

11 posts
Save Topic
Is it worth visiting Bariloche in late May?

Hey guys, I will be traveling to Argentina for my first time next year May18-June 3rd. My friend I am going with wants to spend 2 days in Bariloche before we had to El Calafate and Ushuaia the rest of our trip. My question is , would it be worth going to Bariloche at this time of the year due to the weather, or am I better served by using the extra 2 days to go to El Calafate and Ushuaia. If it is worth going to Bariloche, what activities or attractions will be available or open?

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
El Calafate
El Calafate
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Province of Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
4 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth visiting Bariloche in late May?

I guess the weather issues are the same in Bariloche as in Calafate or Ushaia ....

Munich
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth visiting Bariloche in late May?

You know, it is wintertime. So you'll have snow and very cold or pouring rain at either of your destinations.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth visiting Bariloche in late May?

Late May isn't snow season for Bariloche yet but colder for Calafate and Ushuaia.

There are so many places to visit quite easily in Bariloche that I wouldn't miss if I have time to go.

Weather is unpredictabile and you might have rain but also Ushuaia will probably be cold and very Windy and Calafate coukd be cold and foggy to see the glaciers...who knows...

It depends on how much time you have for the other two destinations maybe

Edited: 24 August 2017, 13:52
Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth visiting Bariloche in late May?

Hi,

I was in both Bariloche and El Calafete in (early) May this year and I loved them both. There was no sign of any snow and the autumn colours were FANTASTIC. I was staying a little out of the main town in El Calafete and found that there was not much to do there - the main attraction is the glaciar. Bariloche, on the other hand, was absolutely charming with gorgeous lakes and plenty of nightlife. I would go back anytime. Yes it was cold but you expect that in Pategonia! I didn't use most of my cold weather gear as it wasn't even windy.

Cannot comment about Ushuaia other than to point out that it would be much colder down there and that other posters have said that there is not a lot to do there aside from the daytime excursions etc.

Bariloche is not to be missed, in my opinion,

Eve

Mentioned in this post
Ushuaia
Ushuaia
Reply to: Is it worth visiting Bariloche in late May?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted