We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early stages Argentina/Uruguay/Iguazu trip planning

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Early stages Argentina/Uruguay/Iguazu trip planning

Hi!

I am in the VERY early stages of planning a vacation to Argentina. I'm more or less looking at flying from NYC on a Friday and then staying the whole following week and returning the following Sunday, to best manage taking off from work and having the two weekends as part of the trip, although if I have to add a day at the beginning or end of the trip that is fine too.

I'm looking to fly in and out of Buenos Aires and spend a few days there, but aside from that I am just not sure where to go with planning. I understand Argentina is quite large and there is a lot to see, as well as in neighboring areas. Some thoughts I had are: exploring Mendoza or Patagonia, going to Uruguay by ferry for a few days, going up to Iguazu, or some combination of all of those.

I will likely travel on my own and have done a lot of traveling solo, so I am confident in my ability to see a lot while still making the most of my trip, but I would love any suggestions into how to manage a 9-12 day trip.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Mendoza
Mendoza
Province of Mendoza, Argentina
Patagonia
Patagonia
Argentina
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Iguazu National Park
Iguazu National Park
Province of Misiones, Argentina
4 replies to this topic
Los angeles
Level Contributor
202 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early stages Argentina/Uruguay/Iguazu trip planning

What time of the year are you going and what type of things do you like to see?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early stages Argentina/Uruguay/Iguazu trip planning

Jan-March 2019 ideally and open to anything

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Early stages Argentina/Uruguay/Iguazu trip planning

welcome,

- get some travel books or look at the top of each destination for "for things to do and see". but you need a desktop to see the link.

- you have traveled solo, thats great. But from your question it appears you are looking for logistical answers?

- get a map of the area/region and plot those places of interest. If you can look for bases to do "day trips".

- then look at how to get from A to B to C. S.America isnt as train rich as Europe, so you will find that getting around will be a limiting factor. Its not just good enough to just go unless you have limited time, but consider the weather and how frequent things are operating.

- some places the weather may affect travel.

- sometimes the distances will require to you fly. you can do a bus from BA to IF, but look at the time it takes. If there is something that interests you between BA and IF, then maybe a bus would be the best way.

- since you have a Round trip ticket via BA, i would plot your destinations and then look for sometype of circular path to bring you back or as close as you can to BA.

- one observations, sometimes you may need to backtrack to a larger airport to get to where you want to go. Especially cross boarder flights you may see this.

- i found that moving around S.America is harder and sometimes takes more time to figure out the logistics.

good luck.

Edited: 05 June 2018, 19:45
Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
631 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Early stages Argentina/Uruguay/Iguazu trip planning

Hi dc 1990,

With the amount of time you have, it would be best to limit your trip to 3 of the destinations on your list. Keep in mind that most flights coming from the US travel overnight, and the same is true in the reverse. Also, while you would arrive and/or depart the international airport in Buenos Aires (EZE), most in-country flights will utilize the domestic airport (AEP), which requires a minimum of 4-5 hours connection time in either direction. Flying between cities in Argentina often requires a connection back through the city as well, which can add a good bit of travel time.

The best way to work around this and limit moving around so you can actually spend your time on the ground enjoying the places you are visiting is to utilize those few domestic flights that depart/arrive to the international airport, and also perhaps use Uruguay as a start or end point. For example, there are flights between EZE and Mendoza that connect with both inbound and outbound international flights, so this is a good place to start or end your trip. If you book your international flights to arrive Buenos Aires and depart from Montevideo (or vice versa), you can visit Uruguay on the opposite end of the trip, with Buenos Aires in the middle.

Bariloche has a flight back to EZE that connects with international departing flights, which opens up Patagonia as another option on the back end.

While it can be visited year round (and the rain can mean especially impressive volume), January is rainy season in Iguazu, so perhaps that’s one place to cut out. All of the other places you are considering will be very pleasant this time of year.

With this in mind, following is a possible outline for your trip:

Day 1 Fly overnight

Day 2 Uruguay

Day 3 Uruguay

Day 4 Uruguay

Day 5 Buenos Aires

Day 6 Buenos Aires

Day 7 Buenos Aires

Day 8 Mendoza OR Bariloche

Day 9 Mendoza OR Baroliche

Day 10 Mendoza OR Bariloche

Day 11 Fly overnight