We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knee Injury: What Goes Up Must Come Down!! Help!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Knee Injury: What Goes Up Must Come Down!! Help!

Well, we are heading to Argentina for the month of November and had planned on 7-8 nights in Patagonia doing some hiking around El Chalten and Torres del Paine.

I have aggravated an old knee injury and although going up doesn't hurt much, going back down hill is pure misery! It took months for my knee to heal the first time I injured it.

Would it still be worth it to go to Patagonia and just wrap my knee and do the easier hikes or would I be better off trimming my time in Patagonia to 3-4 night and spend the rest of it in Bariloche? Maybe just visit El Calafate and El Chalten and skip Torres del Paine?

I want to book my in-country air soon so would like your advice (getting advice from my doctor in 3 weeks)!

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Patagonia
Patagonia
Argentina
El Chalten
El Chalten
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
El Calafate
El Calafate
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knee Injury: What Goes Up Must Come Down!! Help!

let´s see how´s your knee, before the trip...but I should skip Torres del Paine, due treks are longer and requires more demand.

Cerro Torre in Chalten is an easy one...in Bariloche area, at Cerro Otto, you have dozen of hikes thru the woods, and in Peninsula Quetrihúe, a full day hike to the arrayanes forest, returning by catamaran to Villa La Angostura....

Victoria Island has also, very nice and non difficult hikes.

Mentioned in this post
Cerro Otto
Cerro Otto
5,887 Reviews
San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina
Villa La Angostura
Villa La Angostura
Province of Neuquen, Argentina
Victoria
Victoria
Province of Entre Rios, Argentina
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
147 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knee Injury: What Goes Up Must Come Down!! Help!

Have you had the knee diagnosed with a "condition"? I have the same problem and would love to correct it if possible. I could walk uphill all day but, as with you, coming down is torture. I have found that if I walk backwards downhill it makes it a bit easier. Obviously this isn't always convenient. Also hiking poles help as well when you can shift a lot of your weight on to them.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knee Injury: What Goes Up Must Come Down!! Help!

Thanks for the hike suggestions, Alec.

Mananath, I am going to my doctor in 3 weeks so I will know more at that time. And I do use trekking poles as well. It helps a bit but not much.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Knee Injury: What Goes Up Must Come Down!! Help!

I'm sorry for your knee!! well, you can still go to Patagonia and enjoy and tale it more easy, you know? good luck and have fun!!

Mentioned in this post
Patagonia
Patagonia
Argentina
5. Re: Knee Injury: What Goes Up Must Come Down!! Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 20:16