We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- very long

San Francsico, CA
Level Contributor
101 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- very long

We had an amazing time in Argentina and Uruguay. My hope with this trip report is that it will help others plan their trips to these interesting countries. I don’t remember everything we did and ate, but I’ll do my best to give a good summary.

We loved Home Hotel. The staff was so helpful and the location was awesome. You have to be ready to take cabs to the rest of the city, but if you stay in Recoleta then you will be taking cabs to Palermo, and cabs are super cheap. Palermo Hollywood has tons of great restaurants and has a hip vibe without being snobby.

While in BA we ate some wonderful food. I was hesitant about Las Lilas because I had heard that the quality had declined, but it was hands down the best steak we ate in AR. We went twice and split a meal both times (my husband is a big eater and it was still enough). We went at lunch so it was easy to get a table. I highly recommend this place. We also ate at La Cabrera and we were both disappointed by the steak. It was not tender and did not have the flavor that Las Lilas did. We loved all the side dishes, but we were there for steak and it disappointed. We tried Baez our first night and we were very disappointed with the meat. I think we should have ordered sushi because all the locals around us were eating the sushi there…next time. We also ate at Green Bamboo (recommended by Home) and it was delicious. It was nice to have new flavors and the food was inventive. Per the recommendation of our Indian friends we ate at Mumbai on Paraguay street. It was some of the best Indian food I have ever had and I live in San Francisco where we are surrounded by great food. I highly recommend this place. Volta is a must for ice cream (our city tour guide said it was the best and she was right).

We did a 3 hour city tour in BA that was booked by Home for us. It was a great overview of the city and we were able to decide which areas to go back to.

We loved BA, but I think 4 days rather than 5 would have been enough in the city.

Next we were off to Salta. Salta and the NW is amazing. It is very unique and Angie our guide said it was similar to Bolivia. Angie is often recommended on these boards and I know why….she was great. She booked an awesome little hotel for us in Pumamarca, and was flexible the entire time. She took us to a cute little town called Tumbaya (it has a picturesque cemetery that is a must see). We also headed up to the salt flats. The altitude got to me a little, but it was still a fun adventure and an area that is not to be missed.

Oh, we stayed at the Papyrus Hotel and were disappointed by the room. We also stayed at El Lagar, which we loved. I highly recommend this hotel.

Next we were off to El Calafate. Our flight was delayed so we arrived late in the evening. We stayed at Patagonia Rebelde and we loved it! As soon as we realized that we would be too late to buy our tickets for the mini trek, we called the hotel and they sent someone to the Hielo y Aventura office to by the tickets for us (buy these way in advance as they sell out). We also needed to buy bus tickets to El Chalten, but we were going to be out all day on our excursion so the hotel went and bought them for us. I was so impressed by the accommodations for the price (under $100).

One of our best non steak meals on the trip was at Pura Vida in El Calafate. It’s about a 15 minute walk from Patagonia Rebelde, but worth every second. The stew in the pumpkin was delicious and the lentil soup hit the spot. I highly recommend this place.

After two nights in El Calafate we headed to El Chalten by bus. Taking the bus is easy and convenient. My only word of advice is to stay near the bus station if you bring luggage. We got off the bus and all the backpackers loaded up and walked away, while we were stuck hauling our luggage to Nothofogus as no cabs were around. Nothofogus was clean and close to the trail we took the next day. El Chalten was one of the highlights of our trip. We hiked to a glacier and felt the solitude that one can only find in a place like Patagonia. I recommend El Chalten for anyone who enjoys a good hike.

After Patagonia we were off to Uruguay. We took Buquebus to Colonia and rented a car from there to drive to Punta. If I did this again I would fly directly to Punta. We stayed one night at L’Auberge and loved it. We booked it on Expedia and got a great rate. The place is beautiful, but not in easy walking distance to the beach. The next day we went to Jose Ignacio and stayed at La Posada del Faro. This hotel is in a great location, and Jose Ignacio was a nice break from Punta. This isn’t a fancy hotel, but the pool area makes it worth every penny. Check out La Huella for lunch and try the white sangria (awesome). Also, you must get sandwiches at Manolo carniceria in Jose Ignacio. It’s cheap compared to everything else there, the staff are super friendly, and the food is great….feels like being a local.

We thought we would spend more time in Colonia, but my husband and I felt it was very boring. I wouldn't recommend it even as a day trip.

WARNING ABOUT BUQUBUS: our return boat was delayed hours and we never got any answers on what was going on. Other boats scheduled to leave after ours left before. I would never use Buquebus again.

WARNING ABOUT ROCHESTER CONCEPT in BA: We were scheduled to stay here one night between internal trips, but when we arrived they said there was a problem with the water and took us to the Regis Hotel around the corner. The Regis hotel is much cheaper, but they didn’t reimburse us the difference. It was late and we were tired so we went with it, but I would not stay there again.

We also spent one night at the Sheraton Liberator. Great hotel, but book through expedia for the best rates.

Overall we had a great trip. We used our Spanish all of the time, and found the people to be super friendly. BA is such a cosmopolitan city. We can’t wait for our next trip to explore more of Argentina.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions. We couldn’t have planned our trip without tripadvisor.

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Recoleta
Recoleta
18,729 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Palermo
Palermo
5,245 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Palermo Hollywood
Palermo Hollywood
209 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Green Bamboo
Green Bamboo
617 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mumbai
Mumbai
218 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Salta
Salta
Province of Salta, Argentina
El Calafate
El Calafate
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Patagonia
Patagonia
Argentina
Hielo y Aventura
Hielo y Aventura
2,569 Reviews
El Calafate, Argentina
El Chalten
El Chalten
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina
Buquebus
Buquebus
457 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
La Colonia
La Colonia
43 Reviews
Tanti, Argentina
La Huella
La Huella
2,225 Reviews
Jose Ignacio, Uruguay
Argentina
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- very long

CalBear02; Thank you for coming to the NW. But IF you do not remember something maybe you should repeat the trip:LOL!!!!

Much love from Salta.

Giena

Mentioned in this post
Salta
Salta
Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- very long

Thanks for the excellent trip report. One note: the "white sangria" you had at La Huella is served at every restaurant in Punta del Este, almost everyone drinks it for lunch, and it's called "clerico." A good dessert is to eat the alcohol-soaked fruit after finishing the drink.

Mentioned in this post
La Huella
La Huella
2,225 Reviews
Jose Ignacio, Uruguay
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Maldonado Department, Uruguay
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- very long

you can also find Clerico at many restaurants in Buenos Aires -- it's a great summer night drink too.

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
CT
Level Contributor
449 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- very long

we also stayed at Home Hotel, ate at Las Lilas, and went to Salta!

I, too, loved Home, the NW, but not Las Lilas! One cut of meat was great, but nothing else seemed any better than a good steakhouse at home, and the restaurant had a factory feel, IMO. Glad you had a better experience!

I thought the cemeteries in the NW were really fascinating.

thanks for your report.

Mentioned in this post
Salta
Salta
Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
515 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report- very long

For the records: Colonia is not boring at all. I´ve lived here for 46 years, and I´ve always something interesting to do. Right now, my main occupation is to guide travelers from all over the world, touring by the most interesting places of the city and suburbs.

Mentioned in this post
La Colonia
La Colonia
43 Reviews
Tanti, Argentina
Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report- very long

Zerpaconcept, will the tourists still go to Colonia if the Spanish firm in fact builds a paper mill there? I see in today's paper that it looks like it will beginconsruction in 2008.

Mentioned in this post
La Colonia
La Colonia
43 Reviews
Tanti, Argentina
Uruguay
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
515 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report- very long

Dearest Puntalugano, don´t the tourist go to BA even with the RIACHUELO?

And, anyway, what do the paperfactory has to do with being boring? Suddenly, all the worlds disgraces are because of Uruguayan progress?

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report- very long

Well, I see Uruguay is maybe as big as BA province, to have the mills there is like having the trash bin in the living room, Riachuelo is for Argentina as the dirty socks under the bed... Sorry, thinking loudly...

Giena

Mentioned in this post
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Uruguay
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
515 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report- very long

Again: we were talking about boringness.

It is not boring. There is plenty of things to do, even for more than a day.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report- very long

I agree with Zerpa, Colonia is nothing but boring. It is, perhaps, the best weekend travel from BA. Is is ideal for a weekend. It is relaxing, but not boring!!! And the paper mill will be about 30km from the Old City, it´ll not be a problem!!!

Mentioned in this post
La Colonia
La Colonia
43 Reviews
Tanti, Argentina