We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itineary please

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itineary please

Good evening. Can you please help us figure out our itineary? We are trying to sort out our July trip to Argentina (17 nights). We have narrowed down our trip to Esteros del Ibera (~3 nights), Salta (~6 nights) and Buenos Aires (remainder of stay).

Our problem is that costs for flights and accomodations are much more than we expected--more so than many other countries in Central and South America including Costa Rica. So, it doesn't appear that Argentina is the "bargain" that it used to be. We were hoping to keep our expenses at an average of $200 or so a day for the two of us. But, we are getting rather expensive quotes from travel agents--even those highly recommended by this board.

What are folks REALLY paying for their trips to Argentina?

We were thinking of the Cocker in San Telmo but are being discouraged by one travel agent because of safety issues. She is suggesting staying in Palermo, Ricoleta etc. instead at a hotel that would be about $150 per night--almost twice as expensive as the Cocker. Is safety really a concern in San Telmo? We are not late night folks.

She also suggested that we take long-distance buses to help bring down the costs. Given the poor performance of Aerolineas Argentinas, and the limited schedule for LAN, we are thinking this is a good idea.

Right now, we are thinking of the following:

--night bus to Esteros del Ibera

--3 nights at posada in Esteros del Ibera

--night bus to Salta?

--6 nights in Salta area

--fly back to Buenos Aires

--remainder of our stay in Buenos Aires

Should we go to Salta first, or Esteros del Ibera?

How is the bus transportation between Esteros del Ibera and Salta? It looks like a 13 or so hour trip--there don't appear to be regular flights in between.

Thanks so much.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itineary please

I rent an apartment when I go to Buenos Aires.. I've never paid more than $250 per week for a one bedroom apartment.

Check out the apartments available at www.bytargentina.com

I use www.lan.com for my flights to/within argentina

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
497 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itineary please

The Cocker is a great place to stay, and while, okay, I don't know that I'd want to hang out in nearby side streets at 3 in the morning, during the day and evening, and along the main street that it's on, you should be fine.

Flights are expensive, especially for non-residents... and domestic flights virtually all come back to BA and then head back out to the next destination - there are few places that are connected directly by air - which adds to both cost and time. On the other hand, there are hotels and B&Bs in both Recoleta and Palermo that are far cheaper than US$150 a night - sounds like a travel agent looking to up her commission.

Long distance buses are a great way to travel and see the country, and keep costs down - I don't know the buses in particular between Esteros del Ibera and BA or Salta, but the BA to Salta direct bus is around 20 hours.

The problem with reading all those articles about how cheap it is to be in Argentina is that most of them were written, or are based on, information from several years ago - the economy is recovering steadily, and inflation too. Plus, given that it became such a draw for tourists, all the airlines promptly raised their fares, offsetting a large portion of the savings. Argentina was only a true bargain for a short period of time...

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itineary please

Thanks so much for your encouraging comments. Hubbie was ready to cancel our trip to Argentina because of the prices that we are being quoted, but, since we were able to get frequent flier seats, and with the wonderful advice of this board, am hoping that we can make it work within our budget. We are thinking of flying from Salta to Buenos Aires instead of taking the 20 hour bus. But, take a bus from Buenos Aires to Esteros del Ibera, and then to Salta. Or, should we do it in reverse? Fly to Salta, then bus to Esteros del Ibera, then bus to Buenos Aires?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itineary please

As others have said, you can EASILY find a place in any town in Argentina for less than $100 a night. I suggest booking your accomodations yourself rather than through a travel agent.

We spent almost a month in Argentina in November and the most we spent for a night was $85. Most of our boutique hotels were $50 a night on average and they were all fantastic!

Personally, I would take a couple of the nights you are planning in BA and add them to the Salta region. It is spectacular and it won't drain your pocket book as quickly as BA will. The food is less expensive and so are the hotels. We spent 9 nights in the NW and wished we had more time there!

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itineary please

All the transportation between NE and NW is through Resistencia or Corrientes, and the bus from there takes about 13 hS. but, of course it is mcuhc cheaper than two flights!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itineary please

PDXWindjammer--can you share your suggestions of places to stay in the NW? We are indeed thinking of extending our time in the NW.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itineary please

Lacontessa; When are you coming to the NW? in the dry season you cna reach up to the bolivian border, YAVI is a nice little town and you can also see cave paintings in the area. IRUYA would be a nice spot but not before may...

Giena

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itineary please

I would be happy to share info on where we stayed!

In Tilcara we stayed at Cerro Chico. This place is located about 3k out of town on the hill with fantastic views! The room was simple but beautiful and the owner is a gem. It was about $40 per night. My boyfriend and I figured it would probably be a $200+ per night room in the USA. We liked this place so much that we extended our 2 night stay to 4 nights.

In Salta we stayed at the wonderful Bloomer's Bed and Brunch. Unfortunately, we arrived late and left VERY early so we didn't get to have brunch. The room was very large and nice. I think we paid about $70 USD.

In Cafayate we stayed at Hotel Killa. Again, a fabulous place! The owner makes you feel like you are a guest in her home. The rooms are very nice! We got a stomach bug while in Cafayate so it was nice to have a beautiful room to stay in. I think this was also about $70 per night.

In Cachi we stayed at the ACA Hosteria. This place is highly recommended but I wasn't all that impressed with the rooms for the price we paid, about $75 per night. The restaurant is great, though! The rooms weren't bad by any means, just not impressive for the money. Next time I am in Cachi I will find a place closer to the square and pay half as much.

Cheers!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itineary please

Thanks for the replies. We are planning to arrive in Buenos Aires the morning of June 30 and leave the evening of June 17--so have 17 nights in Argentina. Our current thinking is 1-3 nights in Buenos Aires, fly to Salta to spend 7-9 nights, overnight bus to Esteros del Ibera to spend 3 nights, then overnight or day bus to Buenos Aires to spend 2-3 nights. We understand that Tucuman's festival is July 9th. Taking the bus from Tucuman would cut about 1 hour from our overnight bus trip to Corrientes and Esteros de Ibera. Your thoughts?

10. Re: Help with itineary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 17:17