We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

New Zealand
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

Our family of 4 - kids 10 and 12, are thinking seriously of a trip to Argentina. We are thinking of June/July and taking 3 weeks to do it.

We have not much of an idea of the country so would welcome an itinerary that would cover the highlights and some extras, travel options (we are good at rv's), accommodation. As usual, we are not able to do the 5 star options.

We are wanting a trip to show the kids (and us) a different culture.

Then at the end, my husband would like to do a cruise(!). This is anticipated to be the largest part of the budget. Is there a cruise company that leaves BA? We are thinking 7 nights or something.

like that. I like the idea of heading north on the cruise.

Is the American dollar used there? Is our time of the year a good one?

Should we be considering some place else?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

My knowledge of the cruises universe is very limited, but you know, June/July is winter in our countries, so I think there will be no cruises available here at that time of the year. Most ships will be in the Northern Hemisphere.

Please someone more informed about that correct me if I'm wrong.

About where to go, winter would be a great time to visit Salta & Jujuy and also (IMHO) one of the highlights of the country: Iguazu Falls.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

Yes, KIWIS, you can not miss the NW of Argentina....

Allt he info you need, just make the questions you consider necessary...

Giena

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
513 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

For june/july in Argentina, Bariloche is a "must" for your kids!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

Are we thinking of going at the wrong time. I had forgotten that it too, is in the Southern Hemisphere and willl be in winter, just like New Zealand. Would September/October be better?

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
989 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

yes, that would be - should be - Springtime.. much better. This year the winter seems to have gone on forever. The cruises do stop calling during the winter months. Just run an internet search and you will find plenty of scheduled ships. Might be worth starting with picking your boat before planning your dates.

Argentina is a great place to come with kids and it really has plenty to impress everyone - bring them quick, before they turn into surly teenagers!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

OK I think I need to alter the original post and delete the cruise ship option. Can anybody advise me on the first part - the Argentinian part?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

I'd definitely insist on Iguazu Falls. IMHO, they are a must see, and I think the four of you will enjoy them.

October is top season for whales in the Puerto Madryn area, so if you're interested in wild life, you can spend some days there: whales, seals, sea lions and lots of penguins and birds. From there, you might cross Patagonia and visit the lake district (Bariloche, Villa La Angostura, San Martín de los Andes) or fly to El Calafate and visit the Glaciers National Park, or both.

Of course, the NW area of the country is still an option, and a wonderful one. I just thought that wildlife + glaicers might be more interesting for your children, but that's only an idea.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

If we flew from BA to the falls, then over to Salta, (or something like that) how do you get around, southwards from there? Is public bus the way to go? Campervans (somehow I think that is unlikely)?

Panama
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

We have been to Buenos Aires once, but liked it soo much we did not go anywhere else for 13 days. It is a great City. The Argentine people are wonderful and it is a safe city. Now we are coming back for 2 and one half weeks to see the Falls, Puerto Madryn and the penguins, El Calafate, and some of Bariloche area. There is so much to see. You need to get out a good map and track the distances. They are huge. Everyone advises the busses as you can sleep on them. They have cama suite busses that you should consider. Check out some of the internet bus sites for Argentina. They are very helpful Have fun.

10. Re: Kiwi family's intrepid Argentinian journey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 05:16