We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you do with 7 days in Argentina?

rsd
United States
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What would you do with 7 days in Argentina?

Hi -

My husband and I are traveling from NYC to Buenos Aires in April and we have 7 days to spend seeing the country. I would like to stay 3 nights in Buenos Aires and then go somewhere else for the remainder. I don't want to spend the whole trip in airports/on buses so I'm a little overwhelmed as to how to plan the itinerary. Everything seems so far apart in Argentina. Any suggestions?

Aside from Buenos Aires we'd like to see some charming small towns/beautiful countryside. We're late thirties - love food, wine and modern boutique hotels.

thx

Michelle

Full Day Tour to the Perito Moreno...
180 reviews
from US$125.00*
Special Offer
Buenos Aires Super Saver: City...
138 reviews
from US$135.58*
US$152.63
Iguazu Falls Private Day Trip from...
6 reviews
from US$1,098.00*
Perito Moreno Glacier Hiking Tour...
32 reviews
from US$314.09*
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
8,817 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you do with 7 days in Argentina?

Hi Michelle!!!!

You can not miss visiting the Iguazu Falls. Two days are enough there, one to see the Argentine side and the other the Brazilian side.

Enjoy!!!

Patsy

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you do with 7 days in Argentina?

Michelle, I am about to commit the ultimate heresy. I know I will be shouted down by other posters, but here goes:

I'd recommend that you skip Iguazu Falls and go to Mendoza. The city itself is charming, but large enough to have some great restaurants and boutique hotels. You can also spend a couple days on wine tours. Because you have to have a reservation to see a winery, it's better to go with a tour, or at least a driver. We went with "Trout and Wine", which was a tad pricey but just excellent. If you have extra time, you can take a day trip to the mountains. We didn't do that, as we enjoyed just soaking the place up.

Iguazu is unquestionably a natural wonder. But you really have to go out of your way to get there. And there is pretty much nothing else there. We spent three days, two nights and a wad of cash to see the Falls. Very cool, to be sure, but I found myself wondering whether it was quite worth it. Maybe the hype ahead of time was just too much, I don't know.

So, if I had to choose, I'd choose Mendoza. I'm going to run for cover now!

rsd
United States
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you do with 7 days in Argentina?

thanks! how did you get to mendoza and the falls? bus? plane?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would you do with 7 days in Argentina?

With only 7 days, then you are best to fly to both of the mentioned locations. Have a look at www.lan.com, and www.aerolineas.com. I prefer Lan for better ontime schedules.

A bus would require overnight travel thus reducing your vacation time.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
989 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would you do with 7 days in Argentina?

Hm, with seven days, *either* of the destinations rather than *both*, surely!

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would you do with 7 days in Argentina?

It's true - - - with 7 days, you really only have time to go to one other place unless you want your holiday to be an episode of the Amazing Race. Flying is for sure the best option. We found fares to be pretty cheap. But I understand that the overnight buses are pretty comfortable as well.

One other option to consider, given your limited time. You could just stay in Buenos Aires and do a few day trips outside of the city. The areas outside of Buenos Aires are quite distinct, from what I hear. We went to Colonia in Uruguay for a day, and really enjoyed that (although it might be a bit sleepy for some). There are a bunch of other options for day trips which I'm sure some of the other posters could chime in on. And if you stay in BA for the week, you could rent an apartment, which gives you more bang for the buck and is just way more convenient. Just something to think about. I don't think you can go wrong no matter where you go - - - but I'd strongly advise against trying to cram too much in. Been there, done that - - - not fun!

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
964 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What would you do with 7 days in Argentina?

We have been in Argentina for a month, and we would suggest that you follow the advice to fly to Iguazu for two/three days, take the fast catamaran to Colonia in Uruguay for a day or two and spend the rest of the time in Buenos Aires.

Iguazu is sooooo special. We loved it. So much better than Niagra Falls. Colonia is a Unesco World Heritage site, as is Iguazu, and there is so much to see and enjoy in Buenos Aires.

The three above will be a great balance - great scenery, great historic town and great city

Hope this helps and have a great time

8. Re: What would you do with 7 days in Argentina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2010, 05:17