We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Argentina Itinerary Critique 17 nights

CT, USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Argentina Itinerary Critique 17 nights

Hello there,

I'm planning my first trip to Argentina in mid-later November with my husband and have done a lot of research on this forum as to what to see. Would love to hear some thoughts/reactions on my itinerary below - is it too aggressive for a 16 day/17 night trip? Is it worthwhile to try and cross the border and see areas of Chile instead? This will likely be our last BIG trip for awhile so I want it to be a great one. We are active, outdoorsy, love nature, wine tasting and also historical sites. I think we have ruled out the Lake area (Bariloche) as we have been to the Swiss alps and many lake towns, so we want something really different)

Day 1: International Flight to Buenos Aires from NYC - (flight not booked yet, but will prob arrive in afternoon)- Spend 2 nights in BA in one area of the city.

Fly to Igazu Falls - 2 days/ 1 night Iguazu Falls (would want to stay in the Sheraton hotel here I think) Is one night enough here?

Fly to Salta: 5 days/4 nights in Spanish Colonial area (probably need to rent a car and drive between cities?) This area looks nice for smaller cities/historical architecture.

Fly to Mendoza (wine country) - 2 days/3 nights in Mendoza (maybe stay at horse ranch in this area - are there any good gauchos in general in Argentina?)

Fly to Peninsula de Valdes area where we can see the whales and Penguins - stay 2 nights

Fly to El Calafate area for the glaciers : Total of 3 nights El Calafate area. We are thinking of taking the bus to El Chalten for hiking and staying one of those nights in El Chalten before heading back to El Calafate - or is it better to go to Torres del Paine Chile or another area of Argentina instead of doing the Penguins?

Fly back to BA - spend another 2 nights in BA in a different area of the city before International flight home.

Appreciate any info or thoughts on this schedule as well as must sees/do's!

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Argentina Itinerary Critique 17 nights

We went to Peninsular Valdez last November and it was one of the highlights of the whole of South America.

Elephant Seals, Killer Whales, Southern Right Whales, Penguins, Armadillos!!

It was amazing - we lost count of the number of whales we saw. Hire a car in P. Madryn and explore the area, you'll love it!

CT, USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Argentina Itinerary Critique 17 nights

Thanks so much all! I have decided to def cut out Mendoza and add more time in in the NW and maybe an extra day in El Calfayte - still a tad on the fence about flying to see the penguins for a day (I hear the whales aren't good this time of year)

CT, USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Argentina Itinerary Critique 17 nights

thanks Faceman! Appreciate you letting me know about the whales in November! :)

14. Re: Argentina Itinerary Critique 17 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 10:19