We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

Lakeside, Montana
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travelt o Buenos Aires and Patagonia?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,497 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

With normal precautions which you use with all travel, then travel through Argentina is as safe.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

I agree with Ricardo, based upon my travels in and around Buenos Aires, Iguazzu Falls, the NOA & Bariloche.

Are you planning to be driving or having guides outside of the capital ? I would not recommend driving between cities or regions - Lan Airlines, Andes Air or the efficient and comfortable Interstate Bus system would be much preferred as means to get from one area to another. Within BsAs, strolling, taxis and buses are good. You might want to avoid the Metro during any rush hours.

I feel much, much more comfortable moving about in Argentina than I did (do) in Central America or Mexico. BUT, the normal travelers' precautions, as Ricardo reminded us, are always important.

What a great mother-daughter opportunity. Have a wonderful trip.

~MarnieWDC (I will be spending this weekend with my daughter and grand-daughter in lovely Batavia, NY ?!?)

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

Hi Salt Lake!

I think other writers have left the impression that Argentina may be iffy or that you have to watch your back.

This is not what we found. Even in Buenos Aires, we found Argentina at least as safe as the United States, and as safe as traveling in Europe. I can't speak to what two women traveling alone might find, but my wife and I traveled alone in rental cars almost a hundred days in Argentina, Chile and Brazil. Never for one moment did we feel unsafe.

Argentines are among the world's friendliest people. Again and again, in shops, restaurtants and numerous pther places, we found examples of courtesy, kindness and honesty, above and beyond what we'd expect in North America.

I don't want to make it seem I'm whitewashing things. In Buenos Aires, I wore my digital camera around my neck. Several local people wagged fingers to warn about the danger that someone might steal it. I kept it around my neck anyway. No one made a move, even in the Buenos Aires subway, which we rode at rush hour. There are two ways of looking at this: perhaps there were theft hazards I never saw; or the way I look at it, that Buenos Aires subway passengers are unusually friendly and helpful with foreign visitors and watch over us.

Our B&B in Buenos Aires Palermo had an unusual situation that the exterior doors were locked 24 hours a day. To enter, guests had to ring the bell and wait to be buzzed in. The host explained that there's been a robbery the week before, and they were taking no chances.

If you plan to drive in Argentina as we did, please let me know. I've driven on all our trips, and I've written an article here on Trip Advisor about driving in Argentina for overseas visitors, one you'll want to know about.

Happy travels,

David

capetien10@gmail.com

New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

I have traveled many times with my daughters alone in Argentina. I would say that the advice from the other posters is on target. I never felt unsafe. I have been traveling with my younger daughter since she was 10 here in Argentina. we traveled through Patagonia and Buenos Aires, the North West (Jujuy and Salta) and never felt unsafe. I am a New Yorker and I think I use the same precautions I use in NY while I am in Argentina. We did get a carrry on bag stolen from us as we were checking into a hotel in Recoleta (a very nice area of Bs As) but other than that, we have found it to be safe.

You and your daughter will love it! Have a good trip!

Lakeside, Montana
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

thank you so much. I feel much more comfortable now. Our plan is to stay in Buenos Aires for one day (any suggestions on hotels or transit or things to do or areas in town to stay?), then to fly to Patagonia to visit a friend for a few days. thanks again so much for your time and advice. :)

Lakeside, Montana
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

5. Re: is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

Jul 22, 2011, 7:20 PM

thank you so much. I feel much more comfortable now. Our plan is to stay in Buenos Aires for one day (any suggestions on hotels or transit or things to do or areas in town to stay?), then to fly to Patagonia to visit a friend for a few days. thanks again so much for your time and advice. :)

Aurora, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

We are wondering about seeing Costa del Este and driving from BA to there. Any advice

PA, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

My daughters (in their 20s) and I (mother) walked all over Calafate, Ushuaia and we felt totally safe traveling in Argentina. We were warned about being out in Buenos Aires at night alone, but had no problems during the day. An acquaintance did have a Rolex removed during daytime shopping, but we had wore nothing expensive so probably didn't look like targets. My daughters went out with some local friends one evening and had no problems.

9. Re: is it safe for a mother and teenage daughter to travel alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 05:15