We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chimu Travel

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Chimu Travel

I think it might help fellow travellers to know about our experiences with Chimu Travel (to-date). This might turn into a very high level blog (as I will update it with good and bad experiences). My wife and I are at the start of a 4 month tour around South America (Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador/Galapagos, Brazil and back to Argentina), and when I first booked our tour of South America with Chimu Adventures Ltd, I found very little feedback on any website other than Chimu's own.

We were concerned paying out a huge sum of money in this economically horrible time that Chimu may go out of business, but I presumed that as Australia is booming, an Australian travel company would be relatively safe, so made our bookings.

We are now three weeks into our tour (although the first two weeks was a stop over in New York), but since we have been in South America, every detail has run to clockwork (other than a self induced hic-cup of getting off a coach at the wrong bus station!). All pick-up's have been waiting for us when we arrive and the vehicles have been unexpectedly superior to every day taxi's, great cars with a driver often in a suit.

We were a bit dubious about South America before we started as our tour is lengthy and complex, but so far, I cannot fault the arrangements made by Chimu Adventures.

Also, on the positive side, when we first started finalising the trip (at the Destinations show in London in Feb 2011), we made contact with 4 companies. Chimu was by far the most reasonable (thousands £'s cheaper than the others). Gemma in the London office was first class with her fantastic knowledge of the countries. Just to let you know we are post children travellers so not backpacking but in boutique and 2/3 star hotels.

London, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chimu Travel

Good luck to you I hope your trip runs well Gemma at the time had just left Journey latin america so had a wealth of knowledge from their trips so good luck with yours....basically the company are trying to pull in any cash as they can and the pressure is on!!! After all they think it is reasonable for someone that works 22 hours a week to visit 25 agents a week.....and my god if you don't do it then you are for the firing squad.....as for procedure in the office when they are not having races in their chairs and slagging off members of the public then you might chance a bit of customer service but rest assured you where likely named as an 'annoying customer', truely a piece of worki that has dubious tax issues so I'd tread carefully......you never know you might get lucky but the vast amount of customers don't.....

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chimu Travel

We also booked through Gemma to go to Antarctica. Everything went really smoothly. Very impressed with Chimu (and Antarpply Expeditions!)

Jon

Check out our RTW travel blog and advice site - www.theintrepidexplorers.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chimu Travel

We have also booked parts of our trip with Chimu Sydney office been happy with service so far. Get there in 2 weeks so will update. Intrepid explorers have enjoyed your blog as we will be following some of same route.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chimu Travel

Awesome! Happy to know that someone is reading it :-)

Give us a shout if you have any questions on where we've been. We'll try to keep the blog as updated as possible

Jon

Check out our RTW travel blog and advice site - www.theintrepidexplorers.com

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chimu Travel

We booked with Chimu Adventures for a 12 night tour which we took in April 2012 for our Silver Wedding Anniversary, the tour included Buenos Aries, Iguazu Falls, and Rio De Janeiro, each hotel was great, no complaints regarding anything. Everything organised by Chimu including La Ventana Tango Show, La Plataforma Samba Show both including dinner, Iguazu falls tours, the city tours, Sugar Loaf Mountain, Christ the Redeemer Statue were excellent and went like clockwork.

What I particularly liked was that all of these were included in the original price and not optional extras.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the services this Company.

HK
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chimu Travel

Hi Dizee2012,

How did you tour booking with Chimu goes? Interested in hearing your comment on their service.

Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chimu Travel

Its great to have good feedback about Chimu as we too have our tour booked to leave for 21 day trip of SA leaving in early Sept. We are doing BA, Iguazu, Brazil, Peru, Amazon & back to BA so updates of any of these places with Chimu will be great. They also scored our tickets to the ABs vs Argentina game in BA. We based this whole tour around this game so would of been extremely disappointed if they did not come up with the goods in which thankfully they did. Will give feedback once we are back too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chimu Travel

We were happy with Chimu good service.In saying this only parts of our trip were booked with them as we wanted to do our own thing. You will enjoy South America such a wonderful holiday I already wish we were back there.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chimu Travel

We are currently finalising our trip to SA and Antartica in December. We have paid the final installment recently.

Tours look wonderful but service from the Aussie booking team not very good. Having difficulty contacting the agent and having him respond in an appropriate time, doesn't seem to work business hours. Information about our trip is not easy for the other staff members to locate either.

India
Level Contributor
43 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chimu Travel

Brenda M, let me know how you went.....I head over on the same trip early October. Have had a little hiccup already (not Chimus fault), LAN has changed a connecting flight (brought it forward 3 hours), and the second flight leaves before we land from the first flight. So glad I noticed this prior to leaving. Chimu are looking at the best option to resolve the problem.

Let me know how the whole experience went on your return. :)