We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

el chalten in may from puerto natales and el calafate?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
394 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
el chalten in may from puerto natales and el calafate?

Planning on going to El Chalten in the first week of May and wondering if the place is going to be totally closed for the season. I will be going to Puerto Natales on Navimag and traveling to El Calafate by bus. Will there be buses going there and forward to El Calafate and would it be feasible to go to El Chalten to do a couple of days' worth of hiking (novice level) with a guide. If not, I'll just continue on to Buenos Aires from El Calafate.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Full Day Tour to the Perito Moreno...
180 reviews
from US$125.00*
Special Offer
Buenos Aires Super Saver: City...
138 reviews
from US$135.58*
US$152.63
Iguazu Falls Private Day Trip from...
6 reviews
from US$1,098.00*
Perito Moreno Glacier Hiking Tour...
32 reviews
from US$314.09*
London
Level Contributor
512 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: el chalten in may from puerto natales and el calafate?

The bus is still operating (Chaltern travel)

www.chaltentravel.com/transporte.asp…

I'm not sure novice and snow/ice would be a good idea! There was a similar question posed on-line that you might find helps to make up your mind.

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
394 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: el chalten in may from puerto natales and el calafate?

Thanks!

I was planning on going during the first week of this coming way and it sounds feasible.

Decided to skip TDP as I've learned/heard that it's cheaper (better?) to explore El Chalten. Also wanted to visit Pta. Arenas but by then the penguins will have left and I wouldn't have the time to visit anyway. Getting older, and not really up for staying in one place for a night and then packing up to go somewhere the next day :)

3. Re: el chalten in may from puerto natales and el calafate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:53