We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip through South America!

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip through South America!

Hello everyone!

I am going to be leaving, after a semester of intercambio, Buenos Aires on July 7 and then begin a backpacking trip through Chile, Bolivia, and Peru and will finally fly out of Lima on July 31!

I am trying to see if anybody has done a similar type of trip, and if anyone has any recommendations for me. I am already aware that this is not a lot of time to be doing such an intense trip, but if anyone has any places that i cannot miss in these three countries, let me know!

Also, does anyone know anything about hitch hiking in these countries? I hear that hitch hiking is alive in well in Chile, but I'm still feeling a little unsure about it.

Thanks!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip through South America!

Hi Jon! There is quite a lot you can see and do in that depending really how much you want to see in Chile, the Bolivia and Peru part are easy! You have a couple of options, from BA you can head to Mendoza and in to Chile that way to Santiago, a really beautiful drive and easy by bus. Then Santiago up the coast to San Pedro de Atacama. From there you can do a 3 day/2 night Salt flats tour across to Uyuni in Bolivia and then on to La Paz. From La Paz via Copacabana to Puno and Lake Titicaca then Cusco and then either Arequipa if you have time or straight to Nazca from Cusco and up the coast to Lima! Easy! Another option if you could consider skipping most of Chile, would be to head to Salta from Buenos AIres then on to San Pedro and the same as above OR from Salta straight in to Bolivia via the Northern Argie border and to Tupiza in Bolivia and then head towards La Paz! You do have time, just plan it!

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip through South America!

We did a similar ish route. Have a look on the blog link below (you may have to go back a few months!)

I would personally head across to salta and then north to cross into Bolivia at la quiaca. The salt flat tours available in tupiza are a bit better IMO.

We took a few months to do this, but weren't really rushing. You'll have plenty if time if you don't mind overnight buses.

The route described in #2 is a good one, and fairly well trodden. You'll probably bump into a lot of the same people along the way!

I wouldn't hitch hike myself, but we met a French couple who were hitching all the way and didn't have any trouble.

The buses in Argentina are very expensive compared to the rest of south America, but bolivia and to a certain extent Peru are pretty cheap. An overnight bus in Argentina would be around £50 (roughly, depending on route) compared to about £10 in bolivia or £20 in peru.

Jon

www.theintrepidexplorers.com

3. Re: Trip through South America!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:41