We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving - stopovers

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Driving - stopovers

Hello, We will be driving from BsAs to Patagonia and then Bariloche to Mendoza in January. Can anyone recommend towns/hotels to stay overnight during both long drives? Also any other information about the routes gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
450 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving - stopovers

Wow, do you know it's like 2800km (1800 miles) or about 34 hours of non stop driving? EACH WAY!

I don't think you've done a good cost-benefit analysis of your trip.

At 5600km round trip if you get 8 k per liter of gas you're taking 700 liters of gas needed at $US1.35 per liter you're talking about $945 in fuel alone. Add to that the cost of the rental car for a week at about $350 per week plus the added expense of hotel rooms along the road if you assume on the cheap side of $70 per night you're talking about $1750 JUST TO DRIVE TO YOUR DESTINATION.

Alternately for about $350 RT you can book airfare to/from Patagonia and you won't lose 4 days travel time each way.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 00:59
Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving - stopovers

If you choose to drive, I'd recommend you read the first Top Question about Argentina: "Driving in Argentina for Overseas visitors", at the right side of this screen.

More than an answer to a question, it's a very accurate and interesting essay on what to expect in Argentina's routes.

The trip from Buenos Aires to San Martín de los Andes or Bariloche is better cut in half with a stopover for the night at Santa Rosa (La Pampa).

Try to run always on a full tank. Gas stations are scarce, far apart, and may run out of fuel occasionally.

Avoid driving at night as much as possible, because there is always the risk of finding the odd animal in the middle of a national road. You will see plenty of road signs that say "animales sueltos" (loose animals). They are there for a reason!

So much for the warnings. On the good side, people are extremely supportive in isolated areas. There is always someone willing to to help out as soon as they see a car stopped at the side of the road.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving - stopovers

Thanks for the feedback. We are happy driving long distances and for us it will be part of the fun to get to see so much more en route.

I've been doing some more reading and am now wondering if anyone has done the Bariloche to Mendoza drive recently and can tell me about the state of Ruta 40? I've heard that it's particularly bad around Malargue.

We don't have a 4x4!

Thanks in advance

Munich
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving - stopovers

4x4 is not neccesary. But you definitely should have a car with high clearance. Otherwise you can drive only very slowly.

And I would suggest to do 2 or more nights in between each of your was.

Beate

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving - stopovers

Have you considered overnight buses ? Just a thought.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving - stopovers

Thanks for all the replies :)

7. Re: Driving - stopovers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2013, 10:17