We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It all looks so lovely, but so little time

Level Contributor
255 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
It all looks so lovely, but so little time

I've also posted under Bariloche ...

After a lot of indecision re destination my husband and I have decided to do our first trip to South America in Oct / Nov this year - Chile, Brazil and Argentina. Only a month, so just a taster of an enormous and diverse continent. Mostly the usual attractions - they're attractions for a reason.

My husband is mad for Latin jazz and very keen to go to Brazil. We're interested in cultural heritage, and would love to see great scenery. Coming from Australia, we're also keen to sample some other "new world" wines.

But back to the point of this post, going to BA has always been an ambition for me but there's such a variety of possible regions in Argentina to vist.

We are looking at going from BA to Bariloche and then doing the lake crossing into Chile and flying to Santiago from there. We have travelled a lot in Europe and Asia and "touristy" doesn't appeal, but the landscape sounds breathtaking and well worth it.

I also thought about going west to Mendoza from BA and then crossing back into Chile from there.

For the overall trip plan we're currently thinking

- Chile: Santiago and environs, Atacama

- Brazil: RJ; Pantanal; Paraty; Ig/Falls

- Agentina: BA and ...

Any advice appreciated by this novice. Thanks.

Buenos Aires Free Walks
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Camino Pampa
Private Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Turismo Aventura Sierra Negra 4x4
Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Las Superguias Tours Zoo Lujan
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It all looks so lovely, but so little time

Hi Tongi,

Sounds like an amazing trip! You sound like you just need help deciding where to go in Argentina... so hopefully I will be able to help.

You can fly to BA from Iguazu falls and spend a couple of days there seeing the sights (and trying out some Tango?).

If you're interested in wine, then you should definitely put Mendoza on your list, as it's where 90% of Argentina's wine is produced. There are lots of different wine tours you can do, where you'll get a guided tour and taste several varieties.

For an interesting bit of cultural heritage, Patagonia has a Welsh community centred around Gaiman, Trelew and Trevelin. This is also a great place to go whale watching (the best time to go is Sep-Oct, but whale watching season is from May to Dec).

You could then go over to Bariloche, cross over the border to Chile and continue up to Santiago.

Remember that distances between places are big, so taking internal flights will help you to get the most out of a month long trip. Hope that helps!

Edited: 18 March 2013, 17:03
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
786 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It all looks so lovely, but so little time

Hola Tongi,

I am sure you will get a lot of different suggestions here- as it is a very persona decission and there are so many things to do!

I would suggest the following itinerary. I made a very unfear and little description on each destination, but just to give you an idea of what is going on there.

You can of course then investigate more about each place. I hope at list it gives you some inspiration!

- Start in Rio de Janeiro for 3 days. Beach, culture, musis landscape. Catallogued as one of the most beautiful scenery cities in the world.

- Pantanal - 4/5 days- fly back to Rio and drive to Paraty

- 2 days Paraty- Cultural, scenary, beach. Colonial Brazil. Nice little colonial town, great food, nearby amazing beaches

- Fly to Iguazu- 3 nights (you can do it in two, but with a long itinerary I would suggest not to rush every two days)- scenary- Natural wonder of the world.

- Fly to BA- 3 days- city, cultural life, architecture, food & wine, history. Very alive!

- Fly to El Calafate and bus to El Chalten 3 nights- glaciers, mountains and forest. Trekkers paradise

- Bus to El Calafate- 2 nights- glaciers- Highlight.

- Bus to Torres del Paine (Chile)- 3 nights. Bautiful Hiking experience- Mountains and forest.

- Bus to Pto Natales, and from there to Punta Arenas. Night in PUnta Arenas.

- Fly to Santiago- 3 nights- mountains + wine

- Fly to Atacama- 3 nights- desert, best sky of the world.

If you don't feel particularly attracted by trekking you can change Calafate/Chalten/Torres del Paine for Bariloche- lake crossing, Puerto Varas and then continuing same itinerary.

Hope it gives you ideas for your plan!

Have fun!!

Say Hueque Argentina Tours

3. Re: It all looks so lovely, but so little time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 05:18