We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel to greater Buenos Aires

South Lake Tahoe...
6 posts
Save Topic
Train travel to greater Buenos Aires

I will soon be visiting Buenos Aires with my family, including adult sons and teenage daughters. I am interested in visiting towns I lived in years ago, like Merlo, Moreno, Escobar, Quilmes, Ciudad Evita. Back in the day we took the train in and out of the city. Locals are now telling me that the trains are not safe. Any opinions on this subject? What would be the safest way to get out to these places? Right now a rental car for six is looking a little pricey. I would appreciate any direction available in this. By the way, we are staying in Recoletta for two weeks.

Full Day Tour to the Perito Moreno...
179 reviews
from US$125.00*
Special Offer
Buenos Aires Super Saver: City...
137 reviews
from US$135.58*
US$152.63
Iguazu Falls Private Day Trip from...
6 reviews
from US$1,098.00*
Perito Moreno Glacier Hiking Tour...
32 reviews
from US$314.09*
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,645 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel to greater Buenos Aires

I haven't been to Merlo or Moreno on the train so I can't comment. However, I have taken the buses to Escobar,Quilmes, and Ciudad Evita and haven;t had any problems.

Have a look at www.omnilineas.com.ar then click on colectivos for bus planning.

Córdoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel to greater Buenos Aires

Mike, I would opt for 2 possibilities here: or you take a regular bus service, or you take a taxi for the full day (or several days). For the last option ask the hotel where you are staying to make a deal with the taxi service they normally hire (all hotels hire taxi services), just to make a fixed price deal and to check what you will get for your money. I would not recommend to take the train.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel to greater Buenos Aires

Merlo / Moreno is OK by train , avoid rush hour.

http://www.mitresarmiento.com.ar/

Escobar

Bus #60 or #194 in Plaza Italia

Quilmes

Bus #159 from Corrientes & Madero or Van from Plaza Lavalle

4. Re: Train travel to greater Buenos Aires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:16