We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First step of planning for our trip

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First step of planning for our trip

Hi All

We are planning on visiting Argentina for 3 weeks next year September. I know it's a long way off, but we need to start looking at how much this will cost so that we can properly save.

We want to visit the following places:

BA - 4nights

Colonia - 2nights

Iguazu - 2nights

Mendoza - 3nights

Bariloche - 3/4 nights

El Calafate - 3 nights

Torres del Paine NP - 2nights

Then we still have another 2 nights to spend somewhere.

What would be the best order to visit these taking into account transport cost and options.

I've had a quick look at flights and it seems it will cost me in excess of US$1600 for internal flights which is quite expensive for us.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First step of planning for our trip

Hello,

You should look into Aerolíneas Argentinas or LAN's passes. Requirements may differ, and they offer better value for some travel dates or destinations than others (so, every case is somewhat unique).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294266-i977-k6368…

Be advised that domestic travel is not too reliable and that the airlines change their schedules frequently.

As a rule, I would always allow for ample "just in case" time margins between intended arrival to the country and the subsequent domestic flights. Like at least 24 hours in Buenos Aires upon arrival, and 24 hours again before departure.

(I'd choose LAN over Aerolíneas any day of the week, but these changes and delays DO happen in any of them).

Jesmond, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First step of planning for our trip

Hi miki121,

Flying can be relatively expensive in South America. I'm going to Argentina in August, and had to delete a few destinations off my list due to pricey airfare tickets (and I don't qualify for any South American Airpass). Just as an example, a return ticket from BA to Ushuaia would have cost me around $600 (or 450€). Anyway, $1600: is that for 2 ppl? Which flight routes are included? Is that with a SA Airpass?

You might also take busses into consideration, if time is not a huge issue, e.g. going from Buenos Aires to Puerto Iguazu by bus. Tickets can be purchased 30 days prior to departure. Speaking of Iguazú, you stated 2 days for visiting Iguazú: I suppose you will only visit the Argentinian side of the waterfalls? Make sure to book your hotel of choice well in advance!

As for the order of your itinerary, someone else might help you here.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
781 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First step of planning for our trip

hola Miki,

Here a few suggestions to make your trip cheaper-

BA - 4nights

Buy the tickets to Colonia long time in advance and you will get a huge price difference. Try with Seacat or Colonia Express (huge price difference between these and Buquebus, although boats are smaller and not so comfortable, it is still a very short trip).

Colonia - 2nights- Go back to BA (same, buy tickets in advance) and connect by taxi from the port with the bus station. Take a super cama bus to Iguazu. You will save one hotel night, plus money difference between bus and flying.

Via Bariloche super cama or Tutto letto (another category in Via Bariloche) are the best options.

Iguazu - 2nights

Mendoza - 3nights- From Iguazu take a direct flight to Mendoza. It makes a stop over if I am not wrong at Salta.

Bariloche - 3/4 nights- from Mendoza take a bus to Bariloche. The company that does this Andesmar, is not as good as Via Bariloche but still very comfortable. Overnight bus -

El Calafate - 3 nights- Fly from Bariloche to El Calafate

Torres del Paine NP - 2nights - bus from Calafate to Torres del Paine, and then bus back and fly back to BA.

Hope it helps and makes the trip cheaper. Keep looking for special offers with the Aerolineas Argentinas passes- or special offers to Iguazu (they are more common during winter months like june- august) still september is not high season, you might be lucky!

Take care and have fun!

Veronica

Say Hueque Argentina Tours

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First step of planning for our trip

So we've decided to cut our trip to two weeks, just too much to see in one go, so we'd rather return someday to explore the rest. Shorter trip also means more money to spend (-: but with our local currency totally plummeting against the dollar I don't know how far that 'more' will stretch. Here is the itinerary we came up with.

Day 1 Arrive in Buenos Aires Sunday 16:10

Day 2 Buenos Aires (City tour)

Day 3 Buenos Aires (at leisure)

Day 4 Buenos Aires - Flight to Iguazu

Day 5 Iguazu Falls (Argentine side) - is it worth going over to the Brazilian side?

Day 6 Iguazu Falls - Flight to Bariloche

Day 7 San Carlos de Bariloche

Day 8 San Carlos de Bariloche

Day 9 Villa La Angostura (enough to do in both Bariloche and Angostura? - we are big foodies and love wine and are hoping to just sit at a restaurant one day and eat and drink the whole day long, but the other 3/4 days we'd like to do some activities, mtb or hiking etc.

Day 10 Villa La Angostura

Day 11 San Carlos de Bariloche - BA - Colonia

Day 12 Colonia (where to stay here? Carmelo?)

Day 13 Colonia

Day 14 Colonia Buenos Aires

Day 15 Buenos Aires - Flight back home Sunday 18:10

Then we want to split our accommodation half luxury and the other half just comfortable and clean. Where do we splurge and where do we cut back?

Thanks

Washington DC
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First step of planning for our trip

miki121,

We're looking to do a similar trip this year in September if we can pull it off in the amount of time we have between now and then. I'm following this thread for info and tips and will update based on what we find.

Kevin

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First step of planning for our trip

Your next item will be considering where you will be lodging. Short term apartment rentals are available. There are neighborhoods that are more desirable than others. I like Palermo, Recoleta or the side of Retiro near Ave. 9 of July. This is a stretch of only about 5 miles and much of what you want to see and do will be found nearby.

As for Colonia, I think one night is sufficient there. Take the early morning ferry and spend a night and return on a later ferry the following day. Have a lunch at The Drugstore restaurant close to the river, try some local wine. Carmelo is nice, but not sure it would be high on my list of priorities for such an short trip. If desired, rent a car in Colonia and drive up to take a look and have dinner.

I like short term apartment rentals as you get lots more nights for your dollar than a hotel. I frequently stay with www.apartmentsinba.com for the simplicity of the transaction. I have also used www.argentinaconsultant.com. You might find the short term rental so economical that you would keep it during your visit to Colonia, allowing you to leave your baggage in the apartment and travel light.

Washington DC
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First step of planning for our trip

miki121,

Did you finalize your itinerary? We're going late Oct-early Nov for two weeks. We decided to fly in from US to BA. Spend time in BA for a few days then take a bus to Mendoza. We'll be in the Mendoza area for a few days then take a bus to Santiago. We'll spend the remaining days in Chile in and around Santiago then fly back from there.

8. Re: First step of planning for our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 07:18