We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do ATM's in Uruguay dispense US dollars?

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Do ATM's in Uruguay dispense US dollars?

I'm in Buenos Aires and learned that there is a better exchange rate when changing US dollars to Argentine Pesos. I heard that Uruguay ATM's dispense dollars, but am unsure if this is still the case as the Argentine and Uruguayan governments caught on to this method. Please help with any info. So, can I still get dollars in Uruguay, and if so, how much per day? Thanks for your input! :)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,843 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do ATM's in Uruguay dispense US dollars?

Have you thought of posting on the Uruguay forum?

I don't think it can make a lot of difference to your trip, once you count the cost of the ferry trip....

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do ATM's in Uruguay dispense US dollars?

That's a good idea. I heard that a lot of travelers and Argentinians' go to Uruguay to get Blue Dollars. I will re-post. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do ATM's in Uruguay dispense US dollars?

Yes, ATMs in Uruguay will dispense Dollars. Even if you got Uruguayan Pesos you could exchange them for US Dollars as they have a free Currency market over there and then come back with your Greenbacks to trade here at the blue rate.

Remember you don't have to go to Montevideo, perhaps its better for you to go to Colonia to do this.

Depending on the length of your stay and how many Dollars you will trade, maybe the savings potential is still there but as posted above its a good idea to work out the math in detail.

Safe travels....

4. Re: Do ATM's in Uruguay dispense US dollars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 06:19