We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Driving trip along route 40

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Self Driving trip along route 40

I am researching a self driving holiday through Chile & Argentina.

One of the places I would like to visit is Lake General Carrera/Lake Buenos Aires. I would then like to drive down Highway 49 in Argentina to El Calafate to see the Perito Moreno Glacier. From the map it looks as if this would take 2-3 days to drive.

My problem is sourcing accommodation along the way. I have seen references on the map to Estancia's. I would like to know how I can book them. Are there any websites? Are there any good recommendations of places to stay along the way. I have searched the web on all the small towns along the route and there doesn't appear to be any accommodation along this route.

Any information about this would be very much appreciated.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Driving trip along route 40

Also, have a look at www.ruta0.com, www.welcomeargentina.com, www.interpatagonia.com

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
12 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Driving trip along route 40

Try this site http://www.estanciasdesantacruz.com/

You can also find lodging at the small towns such as: Gobernador Gregores, Perito Moreno, Los Antiguos,Hipolito Yrigoyen, along the way.

Fill up your gasoline tank at every service station along the road, it can be scarce in summer.

Take water, food, a blanket and a paper map (GPS may fail). The road is being paved so there are road building equipment along the way. Some parts are paved others not. Max speed on the gravel is about 40 kilometers per hour. Drive safely.

Have a great trip!

3. Re: Self Driving trip along route 40

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:18