We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around Buenos Aires?

Fairport Harbor...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
Walking around Buenos Aires?

Hello! We are going to be in Buenos Aires for a couple days a few months from now, and I was wondering about the prospect of exploring on foot since we are on a limited budget. From my understanding, the major tourist destinations are Puerto Madero (right by where we are), Plaza de Mayo, Avenida 9 de Julio/Obelisk, La Boca Neighborhood, Florida St. and the Recoleta neighborhood where the Museo des Bellas Artes is located. Knowing that, do you have any specific recommendations on what to see in these neighborhoods and whether or not it would be safe to walk around most of them, places to avoid, whether it gets more dangerous at night, etc? One of the people I'm traveling with is a huge art fan and I've heard good things about both MALBA and MDBA so we were thinking of heading to that neighborhood and also seeing the Recoleta cemetery. Thanks!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around Buenos Aires?

You should consider taking the city yellow hop on/off bus for the first day of your visit.9www.bue.gov.ar). This will give you an overview of the city, then you can explore the different neighborhoods by foot.

Public transportation within Buenos Aires is one of the cheapest things which you can experience here.

I don't suggest walking in LaBoca unless you focus on just a couple of blocks of tourist zone.

Other areas are safe as long as you use some street smarts. It is safe at night, but stay on main streets with lighting.

Fairport Harbor...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around Buenos Aires?

That definitely sounds like an interesting option, however the site didn't provide an English translation. How much would fares for that be or do you have a link to where it would be in English? Thanks. So from my understanding, be very careful in Boca, if you go at all, Puerto Madero, and in turn Plaza de Mayo and Avenida 9 de Julio (I'm assuming Florida St. is off that somewhere, are safe to walk around/between, even at night as long as you use common sense and don't have valuables flaunted? How difficult/unsafe would it be to walk between Puerto Madero (cruise terminal location) and La Recoleta neighborhood, which features the cemetery and Museo des Bellas Artes? If it is too difficult would it be easier to get a taxi or does the Hop on Hop off travel over there?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around Buenos Aires?

use the subte or subway. Cheap at only 2.50 peso each way. Museo the Bella Artes is near Recoleta. It opens from noon onwards. Puerto Madero is near Plaza Mayo.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around Buenos Aires?

The Buquebus Terminal is at Puerto Madero. The large cruise ship terminal is located at Puerto Nuevo. The area around Puerto Nuevo is not safe and you should take a taxi in this area.

You can walk from Puerto Madero to Recoleta but is a long walk(30min), but it is safe.

Utilize Google translator for the Buenos Aires City website.

The yellow tourist bus does go from Puerto Madero to Recoleta.

Argentina
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking around Buenos Aires?

In addition to MalBa and Museo de Bellas Artes, there is also the very interesting Fortabat collection in Puerto Madero:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g312741-d2…

6. Re: Walking around Buenos Aires?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 05:17