We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is It Safe for an Asian Girl to Travel Alone in Argentina?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
69 posts
407 reviews
Save Topic
Is It Safe for an Asian Girl to Travel Alone in Argentina?

Hi, I am from Hong Kong. I start to think about travelling alone in South America (including say, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Peru) in October 2014. Many friends seriously advised me not to do so for safety's reason. Is it safe for an Asian girl travelling alone in these 4 countries? I have been learning Spanish since last year.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is It Safe for an Asian Girl to Travel Alone in Argentina?

Race or gender will not determine your safety when traveling through South America. Your safety will depend on how you conduct yourself and your personal awareness of your surroundings. You should always use the same general consideration when traveling to any part of the world.

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is It Safe for an Asian Girl to Travel Alone in Argentina?

It should be no problem, at least from my observations traveling in Chile and Argentina by bus lately (cannot say for Brazil and Peru), where I have seen lots of single Asian girls doing the trip. I have not talked to them by initiating conversation out of respect, but a few have talked to me on their own initiation because I am older and obviously look like a gringo. Avoid talking to local men and you should be fine, the local women or families will be friendly if you initiate conversation.

Think about couchsurfing for a great way to know a community, but to be really sure avoid staying with males unless you get personal recommendations for the guy.

3. Re: Is It Safe for an Asian Girl to Travel Alone in Argentina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 07:22