We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some More Info on Retiro?

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Some More Info on Retiro?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Argentina, which will include a 5 night stay in downtown Buenos Aires. We throught we did our research, and had narrowed down our hotelling neighbourhoods to the northern barrios (Palermo, Recolleta, and Retiro). We are young, of relatively modest means (and frugal to boot), and after considering that we would be taxing to/from sites if in Palermo, and that we would be paying dearly for the (mostly) exorbitant hotel costs in Recoleta, we decided on staying in Retiro. We booked a hotel around the intersection of Av. Santa Fe and Esmeralda. Reviews for the hotel, and others in the area, all rate it as a good neighbourhood and great central location.

But then I get an email from a cousin in B.A. that specifically recommended we stay away from Retiro. I did some further research and found a lot of Retiro bashing, although it's not consistent and seems to be centred around horror stories of affluent (and obvious) tourists getting mugged or otherwise scammed.

I want to know the truth. Be straight up with me. Is the specific area of Retiro I mentioned above dangerous? I do have the option to cancel the hotel booking, but within our price range, the places we have earmarked in the 'safer' Recolleta are also on Santa Fe, but on the west side of Av. 9 de Julio. Will those three to four blocks really make a difference?

For some background: I speak Spanish, and in fact my family is from Argentina, so I am comfortable with communication. My wife doesn't speak English, but we've travelled before and are familiar with not sticking out as tourists. The old 'mustard/bird poop' trick doesn't bother me, because it seems like more of a nuisance than a danger. I am much more concerned with armed robberies, ganging up scenarios, and other potentially life-threatening activity.

Any really specific info would be great, and other impressions of this particular area of 'Retiro' would be good too (I understand the train station is a hazard--but that's without surprise; I've been to many major centres and train/bus stations typically abound with people looking to take advantage of others).

Thanks for your help!

Buenos Aires Free Walks
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Camino Pampa
Private Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Las Superguias Tours Zoo Lujan
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
ZigZag Travel
City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours
Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some More Info on Retiro?

Sorry, the fourth paragraph should read, "My wife doesn't speak *Spanish*..." (i.e. she only speaks English). Sorry for any confusion.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,645 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some More Info on Retiro?

There are a number of sections of Retiro and the area which you will be staying is safe in my opinion. You are located within one block of the Marriott Hotel and in the area of the Plaza San Martin.

When people hear the word Retiro then they think of the bus terminal with the same name and the area around the terminal is not safe.

I would feel comfortable staying in this location;just use your travel street smarts as you would when traveling to any foreign destination.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some More Info on Retiro?

Sometimes I don't get it. Retiro is crowded with ppl, just like in subte. So theft, rather than armed robberies is the most likely scenario. At the bus terminal I saw some security personnel, the area outside the train station looks a bit dodgy, but not alarmingly unusual. It is heavy with traffic.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some More Info on Retiro?

Staying in the area immediately around Plaza San Martin and from that area towards Recoleta (only about 4 or 5 blocks away) is an OK area in Retiro. The new Alvear Art Hotel on Suipacha 1/2 block from Santa Fe is one of the priciest hotels in Buenos Aires. They have updated the streets, adding pedestrian walkways and this area is now similar to areas of Recoleta as far a safety goes, by my observation.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some More Info on Retiro?

You are staying at the Alvear Art, mgbok?

Don't miss their restaurant - Contraluz - it's great!

6. Re: Some More Info on Retiro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:27