We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Patagonia

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Patagonia

Hi,

Can anyone please offer some advice on the best way of getting around Patagonia?

Looking at travelling in December this year. we fly into Punta Arenas, and are planning to go straight to Puerto Natales for 3 nights (i can see a few options/companies that do this route). From there want to go straight to El Chalten (2 nights) and then finish in El Calafate (2 nights) and fly out to BA.

Is there a bus that can get us from Puerto Natales to El Chalten? The only ones I can see stop in El Calafate and I cant seem to make the connections work in 1 day.

My ideal would be to hire a car from Punta Arenas and be able to drop it off in El Calafate so if anyone has done this or can tell me a company that offers this I would love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance,

Jess

Córdoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Patagonia

Hello Jess,

I would rent a car in Punta Arenas, go to Puerto Natales and visit Torres del Paine park as well (stay in a hotel on the border of the park and make some day hikes). Then return the car in Puerto Natales and take a bus to El Calafate (dropping off a Chilean car in El Calafate from Punta Arenas is expensive and you actually do not need the car in El Calafate and surroundings).

Getting to El Chaltén is a 3 hours bus ride from El Calafate, to combine this in one day from Puerto Natales is difficult indeed, you will have to stay one night in Calafate. So first do El Calafate and then El Chaltén.

Enjoy Patagonia, December is a good month for visiting the region,

Jan

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Patagonia

Thank you!

Do you happen to know which bus companies are the best? I'm now thinking about forgetting the car isea, and just taking the bus from PA to PN.

Jess

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
876 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Patagonia

Good advice, Jan

Don't forget that the Perito Moreno Glacier from Calafate will e a full day trip and the same with walking up to see Mount Fitzroy in El Chalten

It may be a good idea to book accommodation a little in advance for El Chalten because as Jan said this is a good time of year to visit. We had to move when we were there.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Patagonia

What I did was to take a Perito Moreno tour from Puerto Natales. It started at 6am and I was dropped at El Calafate at 6pm. I took the 6.30pm bus to El Chalten.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Patagonia

Have decided to stay in El Calafate and then El Chaltén- thank you for your advice! Had a look at the hotels and they were starting to book out so have confirmed our hotels already.

Any advice on good tour operators or tips for the Perito Moreno glacier tour? Would anyone suggest seeing it from a kayak and is this possible?

6. Re: Getting around Patagonia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:16