We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Some suggestions needed for 10 to 14 days in Argentia

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Re: Some suggestions needed for 10 to 14 days in Argentia

Both my husband and I recently "retired". Since 1992, we have done a fair amount of global travelling for his work but mostly in Europe. We have been seriously thinking about travelling to Argentina for a couple of weeks some time in 2015. Neither of us speak Spanish and only American English.

We both love history and still rather 'spry' enjoying walking. I am also a horse person, still ride but do mostly carriage driving now with my horses. My husband does not ride but loves going with me on my carriages. We both enjoy going to polo matches that we regularly attend during our summer months here in New England.

We are thinking that we would like a combination of big city experiences and that of the country side. I need to be careful to balance the trip so poor Hubby is not left sitting around while I enjoy the horsey experiences.

Currently, we are thinking about 4 days in Buenos Aires, 2 or three days in Iguarzu Falls, and 4 or 5 days in Mendoza area as our 'starter trip' to Argentina.

While I feel totally comfortable making plans for any trip to Europe, I am not so comfortable making plans for our first trip to South America. Normally in Europe, we spend a few days in a big city, pickup a rental car, and drive around to the special places we want to visit. With Argentina being so large, I am not so sure if this is a good approach.

Yes, I have several travel books that I think only scratch the surface. We are NOT tour kind of people other than day tours and the like. We rather experience a country in a less 'organized' fashion and on our schedule.

TA has been SO much more helpful over the last few years than travel books. I am thinking back to our trip last year to Turkey. Through the forum, we were able to find the perfect places to visit/stay, find some great day tours,and had great support during the difficult times that happened right after we arrived in Turkey. I only have praise for the TA forum community.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Yours, Claudia

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Some suggestions needed for 10 to 14 days in Argentia

For you amount of holiday time then the choice of 3 destinations is very good. Iguazu Falls should only require two days then you can add the extra day to either BA or Mendoza.

Independent travel within Argentina is not difficult but due to the large distances between destinations then airflights are a good idea for a short holiday. Rental cars car a better idea at the destination if you want the flexibility of exploring the local area. In your case then rental cars are not a good idea in BA or Iguazu since local public transport is more practical.

For Mendoza, if you are visiting wineries then local tours are better because of drinking restrictions and locating wineries can be difficult. The local tour agencies in Mendoza offer many good tours to high Andes experiences, horseback riding, rafting, etc.

For accomodations then a good central location within BA is Recoleta. This area is good for sightseeing and offers good safe services and strolling opportunities. Have a look at www.expedia.com or hotels.com for availability and pricing. The city offers a yellow bus hop on/off tour which is a good orientation to the city. Have a look at www.bue.gov.ar. If you enjoy equestrian activities then many of the estancias near the city offer daily programs of riding, buggies, polo,etc. Many of the estancias are located near the suburb of San Antonio de areco. Have a look at www.welcomeargentina.com for a listing of many of the estancias.

Iguazu Falls has two national parks' one in Argentina and one in Brazil. When you fly from BA then you land

at the Pte Iguazu airport(IGR). If you plan on visiting the Brazilian park then you would need a Brazilian visa.

The town of Pte Iguazu is small and accommodating. The Sheraton hotel is the only hotel located within the National Park but the town is close enough to the falls and offers more choices for restaurants and hotels. The parks are set up for independent travel and are the walkways are well marked and easy to navigate.

In Mendoza you have the choice of staying within the city then taking daytrips to the surrounding country areas. The hotels offer many choices for all types of tours and if you contact them prior to arrival then they can set up your activities. Many of the wineries and food experiences require reservations so it's a good idea to prebook. Two nice choices within Mendoza are Sheraton and Hyatt, but have a look at Expedia for more choices.

In the surrounding towns, there are many lovely wine lodges(Club Tapiz, Cavas Wine Lodge, Finca Aldagisa,etc) which offer accommodations.

Have fun with your holiday planning.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Some suggestions needed for 10 to 14 days in Argentia

Thanks for your reply. I will check out the links that you gave. I have plenty of time to plan and refine what we want to do.

3. Re: Re: Some suggestions needed for 10 to 14 days in Argentia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:17