We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

Leeds
Level Contributor
192 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

Hi, we are travelling to Argentina late Feb 2015 for 13 nights. Having looked at how vast Argentina is, we've decided to limit ourselves to three places and use internal flights for travel to try to get the most out of our time.

Based on some high level research, we feel that Salta would be a great base for us to do some of the things we enjoy - scenery, self drive tours, great food & wine, walking.

The plan is to spend 3 nights in BA, 2 nights Iguazu Falls, 6 nights Salta and then back to BA for the remaining 2 nights of our stay. So my questions are:

- Does that seem like the logical order to do things? Having only looked at Salta at high level, I'm not sure that we'd spend all 6 nights in one base or whether we'd move around there and come back to Salta to fly back to BA.

- Should we split the BA nights or just do 4 or 5 nights to start with and just an overnight before flying back to the UK? (I have read that internal flights can be unreliable so not willing to chance Salta - BA - UK all in one trip).

- Is 6 nights in and around Salta about right? Or could we potentially fit in another destination? We had thought about Bariloche but that would mean only 2 nights there which probably isn't enough, plus we couldn't find flights that worked in terms of linking us directly to another place, as they seemed to go via BA for Bariloche.

- For BA, is 3 nights in the City long enough? We like cities and exploring them but if they're too big and it's too hot then I can find it unpleasant and long to be elsewhere. I was wondering if a couple of nights out of town at an Estancia would work for the final part of our BA trip.

Would appreciate any suggestions. I see this very much as a taster trip to Argentina/South America as there is SO much more we'd like to see and experience but we're trying not to spend the whole trip travelling from one place to another - would rather have a couple of decent bases and try to enjoy them properly.

Thank you.

Buenos Aires Free Walks
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Camino Pampa
Private Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Las Superguias Tours Zoo Lujan
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
ZigZag Travel
City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,645 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

You have used very good logic in planning your holiday. It is a good idea to be back in BA in advance of an international flight.

The route which you have chosen is fine. I would book it according to the best rates for air tickets. Six nights around Salta would be very good. You should save Bariloche and El Calafate in Patagonia for another holiday.

Many of the estancias outside of Buenos Aires are located near the town of San Antonio de Areco. Have a look at www.welcomeargentina.com for some ideas on the estancias. There is a beautiful estancia(www.estanciavillamaria.com) which is located close to EZE airport if you would like to visit that estancia prior to departing Argentina.

Leeds
Level Contributor
192 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

Thank you. I will check out the air ticket prices and see which option works best.

I can see from further reading I did after posting my question that in the North West we can easily spend our 6 nights making our way from place to place rather than just being based in Salta.

I will take a look at the estancias. Seems like a night or two in one of those would be perfect to end our trip and before flying back home to the rat race!

Edited: 16 July 2014, 16:49
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,561 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

I think your plans are very well thought-out and suggest a wonderful, first sojourn in Argentina.

I was about to suggest that hiring a car and starting in Salta....then going all about in the NorthWest.....would be a wonderful way to spend 5 0r 6 days/nights. But then you realized that yourself.

If the estancia appeals, then the recommendation from RicardoBA is perfect. Or, you might consider a day in Colonia del Sacremento, in Uruguay; a 1 hour Ferry ride would take you to this Unesco site.

Enjoy the planning....then your trip !

Leeds
Level Contributor
192 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

Thanks. I'm so excited, but the more I read, the more I want to do! But we're determined to discipline ourselves to picking 3 key locations and making a plan for those. If only we had longer..........

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
786 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

It seems that you are off to a great start in planning your visit to Argentina! Your proposed itinerary is perfect for what you want to do. You will have plenty to do in the Northwest/Salta region for 6 days.

-It is definitely a good decision to move around rather than stay in one base the whole time. I would highly recommend spending your first night in Salta, 2 nights in Pumamarca, 1 night back in Salta (perfect to visit a traditional ‘peña’), head south to Cafayate for 1 night and finally return to Salta for the last night.

- As far as Buenos Aires goes, it is really a matter of personal preference on whether you want to split the days in BA or do them all together. Personally I would split the days into 2 at the beginning and 2 at the end because it might be good to have a few days at the end of your trip to shop for souvenirs and relax (maybe in your hotel’s pool) after a lot of traveling.

- If you are already set on visiting both Iguazu Falls and Salta on your trip then you are right to save Bariloche/Patagonia for another trip. Southern Argentina is gorgeous and is definitely worth visiting, but you don’t want to pack your trip so full that you can’t enjoy the individual destinations. However, if you are still open to changing your itinerary and you are interested in visiting more destinations, you could do Iguazu, Bariloche and Calafate. (Since February is one of the best months to visit Patagonia.)

-The amount of time you spend in BA is also dependent on your individual preferences. Visiting an estancia is a very good idea, but keep in mind that Salta also has a gaucho culture. Another great idea, which was mentioned in a previously posted reply, is a day trip to Colonia del Sacramento. Ferry tickets are fairly affordable and will allow you to explore a beautiful, colonial style town just across the river from the cosmopolitan city of BA.

Good luck on the rest of your planning, I hope you enjoy your time in Argentina! Don’t forget to try some dulce de leche while you’re here!

Will

Say Hueque

Leeds
Level Contributor
192 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

I'm ashamed to say that even though I posted my questions in July, I still haven't finalised the Salta/NW part of our trip!

Here's what we are thinking - I would welcome any feedback:

Day 1: Fly into Salta (land about 2pm) - taxi to Salta centre, overnight in hotel. Walk around City in afternoon/evening. (the flight is booked but not the hotel!)

Day 2: Pick up car (from City, this is booked) and drive to Purmamarca - via Salt Flats. Stay overnight Purmamarca.

Day 3: Explore Purmamarca/Tilcara/Humahuaca area. Overnight again Purmamarca (or do we drive back to Salta and stay just south of the City?).

Day 4: Drive to Cafayate (I know this will be a long day, hence wondering if we come back to Salta area the night before?) 2 nights in Cafayate (hotel already booked)

Day 5: Chill/wine tasting in Cafayate area. Overnight Cafayate.

Day 6: Drive back to Salta (via Molinos/Cachi), overnight near to airport (Finca Valentina?)

Day 7: Flight back to Buenos Aires at 10.35am, drop hire car at airport.

How does that look? Seems to make sense to me and I have tried to check out driving times as best I can.

Leeds
Level Contributor
192 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

I'm also going to post this on the North West board as I've just realised my original post was in "Argentina".

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,561 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

Just to note: the altitude at the Salt Flats can be disturbing to some....going up there with stops along the way could help you adjust to it....and chewing those coca leaves can help too.

Leeds
Level Contributor
192 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

Thank you - I was just reading about that this morning and also noticed advice about avoiding the San Antonio route to the Salt Flats. I will definitely take that into consideration.

10. Re: BA/Iguazu Falls/Salta & NW - which way round?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2016, 05:15