We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Argentina in Fall for 3 weeks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Argentina in Fall for 3 weeks

We are visiting Argentina between late October and mid-November for about 3 weeks. This will be our first time. The country is big, so we have scaled back our expectation to Buenos Aires, Iguazu and then to the south (Bariloche, El Calafate, Ushuaia and Valdez peninsula) after talking to a local agent recommended on this forum (Isabel, thanks folks). This gives us about 8 days in B.A. Here are my questions:

1. Will 8 days be enough in Buenos Aires? If we give Valdez peninsula a pass (we have seen whales before), will we be missing a feel of Patagonia? We really want to relax a bit and enjoy the city.

2. Since Iguazu and Patagonia are in opposite directions, does it make more sense to break the stay in B.A. in two discreet chunks

3. Assuming we manage to spend a week at a stretch in Buenos Aires, does it make more sense to rent an apartment. We are not looking for high end luxury, but being senior citizens, do want safety, convenience etc. I speak some Spanish but my partner does not.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Full Day Tour to the Perito Moreno...
180 reviews
from US$125.00*
Special Offer
Buenos Aires Super Saver: City...
138 reviews
from US$135.58*
US$152.63
Iguazu Falls Private Day Trip from...
6 reviews
from US$1,098.00*
Perito Moreno Glacier Hiking Tour...
32 reviews
from US$314.09*
Argentina
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Argentina in Fall for 3 weeks

Pls, consider the NW of Argentina, Salta and Jujuy are interesting provinces with a lot to see.... Architecture, Archaeology, WOnderful sceneries, great wines, and wonderful food...

You need at least 5 or 6 days to have a good taste of the whole area. Pls, consider to do the loop around Calchaquies Valleys and The northern circuit. Both are the best of the NW- I can only tell you, you will never regret.

Warm regards,

Angie/Giena

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Argentina in Fall for 3 weeks

Mendoza is great too if you could fit it in.

Best not to describe the time here in terms of seasons, because then it will actually be spring here ;)

In terms of travel, be aware that plane delays and cancellations are common here, so do not plan on same day connections. Save as much of BA as possible for the END (your possible apartment time) so you can make alternative travel arrangements covering several days is problems so you could ensure you make your flight home.

Also, remember to bring warm and dry clothes for Patagonia, Puerto Madryn and Bariloche, as it will still be cold with possible snow (and cool winds on the coast).

Edited: 10 August 2014, 04:03
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Argentina in Fall for 3 weeks

Regarding NW, if I have only 3 full days, arriving in Salta on October 22nd in the evening and leaving from Salta on October 26th at noon, what is your suggestion?

Thanks

Yossi

4. Re: Argentina in Fall for 3 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:18