We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on driving in Argentina

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on driving in Argentina

We are planning a 21 day trip to Argentina in February 2007.We are independant travellers and after a couple of days in BA plan to fly down to the Lake District specifically Bariloche.Has anyone any advice or experience of driving from Bariloche up to Mendoza and on to Salta , from where we plan to fly back to BA.Is this a practical proposition re time and the state of the roads.

Also does anyone know how to buy an Argentina Air Pass in the UK. Flights into BA are already organised with British Airways (i.e Not Aerolineas Argentinas).

Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on driving in Argentina

rent a car in Bariloche and drive around the lake district...take an overnight bus to Mendoza, much better than driving...and the drop off charge of the car rental will be expensive

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on driving in Argentina

I agree with alecpatagonia, and my advise is: be very carfeul when driving in the Argentinean rutas (wanabee highways). People drive very badly here, the rutas are not well lit, there are no banquinas (side of the road to pull over) people pass on the wrong side, get really close to you, it's a bit stressing, but to dirve around in Patagonia is not so bad.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on driving in Argentina

I've driven BA to Salta, but not the route you're talking about. General advice: roads vary from fine pavement to pretty bad pavement to dirt. There are very few stretches with more than two lanes (one each way). No doubt you can figure out a reasonably direct route between the places you want to visit that stays on pavement, but it will be hard to know whether there's a bad stretch along the way. Also, you're talking about a route that will be in or very close to mountains virtually all the way, which means the distances on the maps will be deceiving; it will probably take longer than you think, as some roads twist and turn through mountains. Bottom line: think hard before driving it, and plan the route before you go. There's a web site that will give you detailed alternative routes between any two spots, as well as places to stay, sights to see, etc. -- www.ruta0.com.

California
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on driving in Argentina

I'm an Argentina fan, but people in Argentina drive like maniacs, specially cab drivers. They have no respect for lanes, for pedestrians, red lights, etc. Yield signs in Buenos Aires are non-existant. I never saw one.

buenos aires
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on driving in Argentina

traffic signs in Bs As are purely a form of street art, they have no other purpose.

6. Re: Advice on driving in Argentina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 01:16